New Pleco!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Cool! I got one recently too. Pretty hardy, but an important tip for people who keep plecos, algae is only their main food source when young. After that, they only eat it sometimes.
BN pleco's eat algae all their lives. The common pleco's are the most notorious for eating it when small but preferring meatier foods as they grow. Most species of pleco are more omnivorous than BN, some are actually carnivores, and the Panaques require wood in their diet. I've bred and raised hundreds of BN on a staple diet of NLS Grow pellets, NLS 1mm Cichlid pellets, spirulina flake, and veggies at least once weekly. Used to do zucchini, but switched over to canned green beans because they're easier to work with. (They sink on their own.)

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Yeah my lil guy doesnt seem interested in the zucchini and the wafers are too big for him so I broke them down and put them in but I dont know if he can find them. The zucchini is getting eaten by the other fish - so ill have to watch closely to see if he eats it. Is there anything else he'll eat? Can he live on just DW?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
BN pleco's eat algae all their lives. The common pleco's are the most notorious for eating it when small but preferring meatier foods as they grow. Most species of pleco are more omnivorous than BN, some are actually carnivores, and the Panaques require wood in their diet. I've bred and raised hundreds of BN on a staple diet of NLS Grow pellets, NLS 1mm Cichlid pellets, spirulina flake, and veggies at least once weekly. Used to do zucchini, but switched over to canned green beans because they're easier to work with. (They sink on their own.)
Ok, thanks for the complete info, I'm not a pleco expert, but that was one of the general facts I knew. :)

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Yeah my lil guy doesnt seem interested in the zucchini and the wafers are too big for him so I broke them down and put them in but I dont know if he can find them. The zucchini is getting eaten by the other fish - so ill have to watch closely to see if he eats it. Is there anything else he'll eat? Can he live on just DW?
Most plecos don't eat. DW as a food source. (other than the exceptions Todd informed me about.). They eat it to help digest the food they eat.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Hmm. I just dont want him to starve. Ill try different vegetables
The reason he probably isn't eating's either he is nervous to go out into the open during the day since they are nocturnal, or hes scared to eat cuz he's so new.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
So I added in Zucchini last night but the pleco doesnt seem interested. How should I cut it and put it in? Since it doesnt sink on its own. I cut it thin and put it flat on the gravel but today I added lettuce and kept it sticking up out of the gravel and he really seemed to enjoy it. He was going all over it. Lettuce is fine to substitute zucchini with correct? Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store