New Pleco!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
How's your pleco doing?

I think lettuce's nutritional value is significantly lower than zucchini's.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
He's doing great actually. Ive tried zucchini and he doesnt go on it - and he doesnt seem to interested in the lettuce anymore but I keep putting it in there. He eats the wafers like crazy though- I put in 1-2 a day because the Ryukins in the tank tend to eat them also so I never know how much he gets but he loves them, I can never get the zucchini to sink though any ideas?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
what kind of lettuce. with reptiles and such people say not to feed iceberg only romain so.... i dont know if that relates to fish though.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
He's doing great actually. Ive tried zucchini and he doesnt go on it - and he doesnt seem to interested in the lettuce anymore but I keep putting it in there. He eats the wafers like crazy though- I put in 1-2 a day because the Ryukins in the tank tend to eat them also so I never know how much he gets but he loves them, I can never get the zucchini to sink though any ideas?
a rock

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Uhm Im honestly not sure, I pulled it out of my fridge in a bag. Its probably iceberg but he did eat it in the beginning. Ill try zucchini again, and ill push him on it.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
I actually put a long strip of zucchini in instead of cubes and I pushed him on it and he's being moving all around it so Im guessing he likes it.

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
It's not aesthetically pleasing but I use a stainless steel fork to make the zucchini sink. Be careful of how much zucchini and how long you leave it in the tank; it can foul up your water pretty quickly.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Hmm I usually move the substrate over it partially to keep it down but its a pain to get to stay and Ill take it out before I go to sleep about (2 1/2 hours) and its about an inch thick and prob a 7inches long.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Blanch the zucchini and it will sink. My plecos LOVE it!!!! :dance:

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Blanching or nuking in the microwave for a bit and the zuchinni will sink. It fouls faster that way too, though.
I use a SS fork, as mentioned above.
There is a thread you can search for that lists a couple of dozen veggie suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store