New sump design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
To tell you the truth, it probably smells a little like the bottom of a well. It's indoors, under one of the bath rooms. The main problem is that it is a little too low to stand up right, so I'm feeling a bit like a monkey, one, because I stuffed the sump, and two, because I've just spent two hours draining and digging out the sand. Going to pop out and pick up the silicon and glass. Give my lower back a rest.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Ok, updates. It's a bit of a dogs breakfast at the moment, barely got it plumbed yesterday, got a new bulkhead for the overflow and it ended up being to big! This is after I hacked to death the old one trying to get it off, only to find I had to get it back on again. My hands don't work very well now. Anyway, got it going, very cloudy. Electrical's are still not done, RO and auto top off still has to go in, MH 250w has to be hung, list goes on.

Here are the pic's

It is a little full ATM, should be running a little lower. Water moves from right to left, it runs down a 15mm pvc into a 50mm pvc running horizontal and drilled to distribute flow. Return is via 3500lph (have to calc head loss). It doesn't make noise, nothing. and the I keep having to check the display because I think it is not running.

I added the additional two (middle) sections to hold the sand in place, that was laborious, considering I had to drain, and dig out the sand.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Update, still heaps to do... RO, Auto top off, Power, etc. Got the
lights hung, and currently running reverse photo period, sand is very
deep, about 6.5" - 10"inch not sure if this is going to be of any benefit??.
Trying my first mangrove as well, never done it before, so any tips
would be great. Found this crab as well. I think total flow at the moment
is about 850 US gallons\hour or about 3200 litres per hour.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
And I continue to learn..great!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Pic of under the tank... no sump! no noise, just two tubes..

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Sump update,

I have pulled out a bunch of the hair algae, but just hate seeing all the stuff in it die, as it's literally moving. I tried putting it on a crate in the sump so it was half in the water half out to see if the greablies would figure out the escape route... but when the lights came on I noticed lots of dead pods and stuff, so just chucked it... I hate that!

So, the hair algae is obviously beneficial, just have to keep it in check in the tank. It seems to be a home to a plethora of animals, and acts as one big filter as the water slowly passes through it.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Great update, and the "jungle" is certainly going to be home to many many critters..so long as its only in the sump where the algae is like this, there should be no reason to fight it and remove...what ever parts you do pull out, just shake off in the water and hopefully, any life forms like pods should drop off and find a new home...

Still a great looking sump NS...thanks for the update..

Niko

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
man seeing this great sump keeping the main tank at 0ATES makes me want to build a HUGE sump w/ my 110G thats just sitting there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store