New sump design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Update thus far... If you are following my "water change long overdue?" thread, then I still haven't done it. I will be updating that as well, but here are some pic's of the sump.

In this picture, you can see several pods, snails of various sizes (all small), algae, a couple of bristle worms.

In this you can see at least 4 bristle worms.

Some pods and stuff.

These weird things which are like blobs, they move around on the glass, but I don't know what they are...

One of hundreds of feather dusters

This is the return chamber, the pipe on the right of the photo is the return from the tank, it has several feather dusters, and some other type's of creatures, again of which I cannot ID.

The sump.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Hey noskimmer; I have been wondering about your RF, (nicely made BTW), I have never had a RF because my whole tank is sort of one. However, I am soon changing to the more modern(?) tank & RF scheme. I would like to understand yours more clearly and your last picture shows everything very clearly.

Can you explain, what all, is theoretically going on there?

Water comes in from the right?
Leaves out the left via a submersible pump?
Elevated to limit what can leave?

You have six internal partitions. The first one forces the water under it making the water pass thru some media?

Over the next into the sand area that has growing (green)pods etc. How does the sand do anything? I realize the top 1/2" would be somewhat coupled to the water but the rest must be just stagnant? What is its purpose if water can't really move thru it? Or am I missing something?

Ok, then you have the other side of the sand partition. Understood.

But now you have another under/over/under area. Purpose? Not being utilized? Or ?

How did you get that glass in there so nicely? Did you add it after the 'box' was completed? You just hold it in there and add silicon? Or tape one side in and silicone the other wait and repeat??

Many thanks for any knowledge you can pass on.

Oh, Hey! Let me pass you something back.
As an electrical engineer, may I suggest that, if you don't have one, that you correctly install a GFI outlet, as you have lots of power cords running into your RF. While servicing your RF you are standing on earth possibly damp even. If one of those devices develops a water leak all your water will go electrically live. It's saltwater which is the finest way to connect to skin. You will likely die the moment you put your hand in. A GFI would safely prevent any such tragedy and likely warn you that something is electrically failing like a heater body that's cracked.

You just need one GFI outlet, $15, and then you can daisy-chain it to all the other local outlets you have, providing protection all around.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
kcress,

Now where do I start... On the first page of the thread was the original design that my wife and I had come up with when I initially modified a double chamber bio ball setup with spray bars, got rid of the bio balls and spray bars and just added sand, the way the water moved through it inspired me to come up with another design. It initially didn't work as planned and I added two additional partitions (the center ones) which hold the sand in place. Unfortunately the picture on the first page is reverse to the above picture. The drilled holes are safety holes so that no chamber can overflow where the water is forced to flow under the partition.

Answers to your questions:

Yes. Water comes in on the right. This goes into a perforated horizontal pipe which was cut to size so that it is wedged precisely into the chamber, drilled to distribute the flow, I also have a thermistor which measures the temp from the display. This goes to a central temperature relay with .1 degree's resolution, it has calibration control, alarms and memory for pre-configured parameters, it will handle (I think) 1500watts. This in turn controls the 4 x 250 watt Jager's in the far left chamber below the return pump, the rational of having multiple heaters of smaller capacity is for failure either off or on by the heater, which are set to about 27 degrees.

Yes. The return is a Eheim 1262

Yes. Raised to prevent display overflow

Yes. Water passes through ceramic noodles, these can be controversial as they do collect detritus however these have a significant amount of pods etc keeping things in check. They also slowly dissolve and release calcium into the water.

The next chamber with the very, very deep sand bed (http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/7070) was and is an experiment, I didn't know and couldn't find out what the maximum beneficial depth of a sand bed would be, and yes the water moves quite slowly through that section so I have a power head helping to add circulation, a very nice mantis, an urchin (thanks Niko) who looks after the algae. The worms etc seem to be moving deeper into the bed as time passes.

With the other section, the water level was initially intended to run much lower, and the 2nd from the left was supposed to dictate the water level, but I have found that it works better running it a little bit higher, but for safety it should be lower. I also have never really changed it after I added the auto top off and found that the pump would suck in air at a slight drop in sump level. Now that it is auto topped off, I should lower the level. I have a 25 liter container with a float valve connected to a [SIZE=-1]solenoid on a tap then to a 4 stage RO.[/SIZE]

Apart from the two inner sections of glass, the sump was custom made from my design all in 10mm so it's very heavy, the two inner sections I just called a glazier with the measurements and fitted them in with tank safe silicon.

I have all three phases running through separate breakers and filters, so all power is clean and very, very safe. Thanks for your concern.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
noskimmer; Many thanks for the quick response!

I see the holes you speak of and they make sense. Everything else does too now, for that matter. Thanks very much for the clarification.

Nice display tank BTW!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
noskimmer
how long has your fuge setup has been? did you do any w.c yet?
man i am very envy of your fuge.
Thank you for your compliment. Well the sump has been running since the
25th of May 2007, so not a real long time (The only way I knew that is because of the post on this thread - what would we do without forums?)

As for the water change... No, not yet. I find it quite puzzling really, I almost now peer into the tank with the expectation that something catastrophic has happened, but no, everything is still the same. Only difference is a bit of a rearrange, and had my first attempt at fragging. Also got myself a niger trigger (a little one) and a six line wrasse, just in case... he is really fat.

I will soon have to do a few updates to the water change thread, but in all reality I didn't think I could last this long with no water change.

Niko\Grins.. flat worms they are, but none in the display. Considering the amount of them I find it surprising.. I did have a bit of a moment though, hence the six line.. but then again Gordon is as plump as ever.

On the weekend I bought 3 live abalone from the fish markets, one little one, about 2.5" at the widest point of his shell which I thought I would chuck in the tank (I have live vongola still from before Christmas), he didn't last the night poor thing (the other two didn't either...yum) but it took a couple of days for the fish to devour him. You would sort of think that something like that left dead in the tank would fowl it.. but all is good.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Update Pic's

Still going, flat worms have gone nuts. Hair algae has almost gone. Included some photo's of the auto top off, which you can see the drum on the left hand side is for drinking water, that gets topped up as well.

Basic float valve which is connected to the middle container.

The Sump, I have added more aragonite and noodles

Father in-law designed top off

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
hows the tank?? kole tang get rid of all the hair algae??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store