New tank arrives Friday!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Very, very nice. Like how you kept the rock off the back wall. Just make sure your rock is stable.

Can you explain how your drains work? Never see that before. How is the water line maintained above the basket strainers? It looks quiet. Is it?

Thanks for sharing.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Its very quiet, all you hear is a slight trickle of water in the drain pipes. Its just basically a modified LFS setup. Most of them just hace the strainers straight in the back oc the tank or a 90* elbow. I tried it first with the strainers pointing up but it was noisy with the water flowing up and over the elbow through the strainer. So I just turned everything and now the strainers are constantly submerged and I have a durso setup behind the tank so everything is underwater and there is no toilet noise at all. I saw a setup like mine but with a 1" pvc straight across connecting the two drains, one he had it with holes drilled in it to let the water in, the other he had cut a slot out of the pipe to make a full length drain across the back of the tank. I was gonna do that if my setup didnt work but it seems to be working fine, strainers can be removed for easy cleaning if need be. The plumbing inside the tank in not glued so I can just lift it up or drop it down to adjust the water level. I think with the 45* fittings before the strainers pointing them down into the tank it makes the angle of the fitting the water level control point if that makes any sense. I also crossed the drains at a 45* angle accross the back of the tank to help with noise, hoping the water would flow down the pipe rather than falling and splashing if it was just a straight down drain.
Rock is very stable, the Marco rock is great for stacking. It locks together really nice and is very stable.

Shane.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Gotcha, didn't notice the dursos. Seriously looks good! You have a great start there!

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Another quick update, the cycle is coming along, ammonia was at 3ppm last night and nitrite was at .5 Got the ATO stuff installed into the sump and got the controller in too.. Still looking for a suitable container that will fit in/behind the stand for the top up water..

Shane.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I have heard people recommend the vertical wrapping paper boxes for tight spaces. Not sure if that will work for you.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Ya I was looking for one of those but found a garbage can for like an office that was the perfect size.. It holds about 3.5 Gals and fit right in the spot I had for it.. ATO is working like a dream now...

Shane.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Well the cycle is pretty much done I think, my ammonia is at 0ppm and nitrite was at .5 last night and nitrate was at 80 and is now down to 40.. I added some chaeto to my sump to help control the nitrates. Gonna add some pure ammonia over the next few days and make sure it goes away before adding any fish.. I will post some new pics tonight or tomorrow of everything running. I got the ATO all setup, found a small office garbage can that fit perfectly into the stand.. Got the chaeto in the sump sectioned off with some egg crate to stop it from getting into the return pump.. and got a clip on light from Lowes for $11 and put in a 100 watt(really 23W, 100 Watt equivalent) 6500K flourescent light bulb for it..Got that hooked up to the timer for my moonlights so its on overnight with the moonlights and the actinic and daylight tubes are on their own separate timers. Had to add two fans to the canopy, it was getting pretty warm in there when the actinics are on..

Shane.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like some good progress. Look forward to the pics.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Ok heres the pics as promised..

Shane.new pics 299.jpgnew pics 302.jpgnew pics 295.jpgnew pics 297.jpgnew pics 301.jpgnew pics 303.jpgnew pics 304.jpg

new pics 302.jpg new pics 299.jpg new pics 295.jpg new pics 297.jpg new pics 301.jpg new pics 303.jpg new pics 304.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice job on the sump. The eggcrate is a neat idea to keep the chaeto in place. The LR on the top left looks to have at least one mojano on it and do you know what the yellow polyps are? They are a little more spread out that colonial hydroids but you may want to ID them before you let them get too comfortable. I'm thinking they are just big palys? Nuke the mojano and any of its little friends. Good looking LR though!

Gotta get me one of those tunze ATOs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store