New tank arrives Friday!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Oh ya the ATO is great.. So easy to setup and has worked flawlessly.. Not sure what any of them are.. Im pretty sure they werent aptasia so I wasnt too worried about it. It also has a large yellow 'blob' of something on the back side of the rock, not sure what that is either..
I love eggcrate, it has so many uses. Since I had to use a smaller sump than I wanted to, I dont have space for a separate fuge so I just put the chaeto where I had room. Its doin its job too, already my nitrates are down under 10.. Thanks for the positive comments, everyone who has seen the tank (had UFC party on Sat night, lots of friends over) loves it and there arent even any fish in there yet..

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The yellow glob could be a sponge. They don't do well when exposed to air.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Ya I was thinking it was a sponge possibly.. The tank is ready now, checked my param's and ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is at 5.. They were all zeros monday, I added some food on tuesday and ammonia went to about 1, never saw any nitrite at all then last night the numbers were al zero's again..well except for nitrate, its 5 but I have chaeto in the sump helping to take care of that... So im gonna do a PWC tonight and let it sit for the weekend...

Shane.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
That is an epic tank! Can't wait to see it finished, that's gonna be truly epic!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Are those pics on 4/26 when the rock was added to the tank? Not trying to slow your roll but most of your rock looks like dry rock and I don't think a week (or so) is enough time for the LR to establish/seed the dry rock. If the LR you added was fully cured (not sure if it was) you have that but your entire load of rock isn't ready IMO. Are you thinking about adding fish at this point?

How much food did you add to test the ammonia?

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Ya probably 80lbs of it was just base rock, its the Marco base rock. I then added 20lbs of live rock thats the 6 pieces on top. I added about 100 pellets all crushed up.. They were about 1/3 the size of a pea. I have my porcupine puffer at the LFS, I took him back there till this new tank was ready for fish. I was planning on getting him back Sunday and adding him then waiting about 2 weeks between new additions.
I hunted around for clear ammonia but couldnt find any store anywhere near me that had any.. So I used food to spike the ammonia again.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Guess what I am saying is the LR (assuming it is cured) was enough to convert the food but would questiin whether it could support a constant bioload from feeding and waste from a fish (puffer). Just think it will take a little more time for the dry rock to establish itself. 100 pellets is fair amount of food though so maybe I am wrong.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Well I would rather be safe than sorry Greech.. Like ya say nothing good happens fast, right.. Ya the rock was well cured by the LFS.. It is pretty amazing looking stuff, there is some color starting on the base rock but definitely nothing great as of yet. Maybe I will hold off for another couple weeks just to be sure..

Shane.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Definitely good looking rock! Also...maybe you got a few bristle worm hitchhikers that ate the pellets while you weren't looking :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store