New tank question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
As for added aeration, surface movement is what oxygenates the water. So long as the topwater is moving, and you are not overstocked or running at very high temps, that should be all you need. When you add an air pump/air stone, what mostly adds O2 is not the bubbles themselves, but the water they move when they breach the surface. If you had inadequate oxygen in the tank, fish would be gasping near the surface (where O2 levels are generally higher) My canister filter came with an attachment where you can add an airline to the filter outlet, but I don't need it or use it.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
We think alike in this for sure.

Years ago a breeder was changing the water once a week. His wife changed the water in a couple of his grow out tanks every other day unbeknownst to him. He couldn't figure out why. Until his wife fessed up.

I tried that too and it's made me a believer in every day to every other day water changes.

Burnkat72

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Jacksonville fl
I got my API freshwater master test kit today! The PH is 7.6 and ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are 0ppm. Is that unusual? ? I followed the directions specifically. As a reminder...150 gal tank, 30 fish 3 snails, set up from scratch June 1st.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I guess my quote got messed up from GraphicGr8s, but I am not sure what this breeder couldn't figure out. Can you explain further please.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Hi Burnkat. It is great that your ammonia and nitrites are zero. A little odd that the nitrates are zero too, but not unheard of, especially if you just did a big water change. Keep testing for the nitrates, and when they get to around 20ppm , you need to do a water change. I can't remember if you ever cycled this tank. If you did, you should be fine from now on. If you did not, keep checking the ammonia and nitrite levels also. If you see them going up, you may have to do more frequent water changes until they both go back to zero.

Burnkat72

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Jacksonville fl
Hi Biondoa! Thanks for your fast reply. I set up the tank June 1st and only have done a 20% water change last week, nothing else. The cannister filter tubes have junk in them, but another post said not to worry about the filter being dirty since that means it is cleaning the water. Of course I want to and will clean the filter but I don't want to do it too soon since the water seems pretty 'clean' from the water test results.

Burnkat72

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Jacksonville fl
But you still have not said if you cycled the tank. Did you ?
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot..I suppose I cycled the tank?? June 1st... I set it up and embarrassing to say after being on this blog and seeing all these smart fish talks...I am testing the water with a 'real' testing kit just yesterday. I started with 5 fish every week til I got to 30. No casualties and fish are growing and very active. What is the detriment if I didn't officially cycle my tank? Am I far enough out now not to worry or should I worry?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Don't worry if you don't know, that's why you(and many of us) are here. None of us knew what we were doing from the start. The term cycle refers to establishing the bacteria in your filter that process fish waste. I would think, considering the time you have been set up, the tank size, and the small amount of fish, you are cycled. The way to tell is that you will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some signs of nitrate. This shows that the bacteria are breaking down the waste. The concern is that you are not showing nitrate, but unless you did something to kill off the bacteria such as wash the filter or not use a dechlorinator for the water change, the bacteria should be established. I would say, keep testing daily and as soon as you get a reading other than 0 for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate let us know. the first 2 would indicate the cycle was compromised, while a reading of nitrate says you are fine. For a better understanding of the cycling process, check out the link below.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
It also important that you follow the Nitrate instructions. There is a lot of shaking involved. It is possible to get false readings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store