New tank.. what to do with it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Get some of the conches that grow large. Make it an invert tank. I can imagine a large fighting conch sliming around the curved glass. The magnification would be cool.

It would do nice as a part water part land type also. Cliff back wall with water fall, one side a shallow pond with frogs and lizards etc.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Good idea.. I have always wanted a tank like that. Many years ago I wanted to do that with an old 55G tank, 1/2 water 1/2 land with turtles. Just seemed like a lot of work though and not big enough tank to do it properly. With this 100G though it is possible.. just picturing different setups in my head with a 1/2 round tank.. maybe an island in the back/center with a tree like a tiny deserted island in the movies.

Trying to go as simple and maintanence free as possible though. My reef tank takes up so much of my time and money as it is. I would have to do a lot of research to see what type of turtles would work in that size, what other creatures can go with it, and what it takes to care for them. The more I sit and think about it though the more I like that idea snailrider.

Eddiecorrea

War kitty! God hates cats!
Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
I know what you should do! Give it to me!!! I'll pay you shipping. Thats an excellent idea if you ask me.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I thnk that I would consider doing a cuttelfish tank. That shape and size would be perfect. You could consider an octopus tank, but at least with the cuttelfish you could still have coral. THey are absolutely facinating to observe/raise.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Well corals is 100% out of the question for this tank. I have my reef tank and don't want another. The cost of lighting and equipment once you make the decision to add corals makes it cost prohibitive for me. My power bill just for my 75G tank is around $200 a month, just for the tank.. entire power bill runs around $350/mo for the house.

I know zero about cuttelfish though. My only hesitation of an octo tank is worrying about it becoming an escape artist. A seahorse tank you don't have to worry about that. I would have to do a lot of research on cuttelfish before I even thought of going that direction. I have no idea what they require for space, substrate, flow, etc.

Dredgesclone

AC Members
Nov 19, 2008
Milford MI 48381
Maybe african cichlids?

here's some good set-ups:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_75g.php

I would probally try to trade it for a normal rectangle tank.
Not that it's not nice it's just not the best shape for most fish.

I have never had a "planted" tank but I'm sure the lighting, CO2, ect... can get up there in price, close to a "reef".

If it was mine and I couldn't trade it I would probally go with a huge tall peice of drift wood with lots of branches and roots. Put a few hardy cheap plants higher up on the wood, so you don't need special lighting, CO2 ect.. and stock it like a 55 gal South american/ Central american set-up.

as seen here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

I say stock like a 55g. because your tanks footprint is about the same.

I think it's overkill for a seahorse tank, I had a pair doing great in a 29g. biocube.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I have never had a "planted" tank but I'm sure the lighting, CO2, ect... can get up there in price, close to a "reef".
Not even close.. to date I have dumped well over $20,000 into my reef tank. On a planted tank, CO2 setup runs around $300 and I already have a 4 bulb T5HO lighting fixture that would work on that tank if I made it planted. Even if I had to buy the light we are only talking around $200 for it. Just my lighting on my 75G cost me over $1000. Big difference between a light to make corals grow and a light to make plants grow. At my LFS they have a real nice planted tank with just 2 T5HO 10k bulbs over it and CO2 and it grows great. On my reef I have 4 T5HOs being overdriven as well as a 400w MH.

Ya, it is overkill for seahorses.. but a seahorse tank doesn't require much in terms of equipment and maint and that is what I am going for. I do like some cichlids though.. they can have some of the best coloring on a FW fish and quite a variety of colors compared to other FW fish I have seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store