New to African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would just like to point out that Leopard Ctenopoma are not cichlids...carry on.

edit: I guess I will try to be more help than that..."assorted" tanks usually have hybrids so its doubtful you will end up with a specific species.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
So do you think it would be safe to buy about 10 of the mixed africans from a LFS for a 55? Then, I could show you guys pictures of them and tell me which to return and what species they are?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
So do you think it would be safe to buy about 10 of the mixed africans from a LFS for a 55? Then, I could show you guys pictures of them and tell me which to return and what species they are?
Any possibility of getting pics of them while still in the LFS tanks?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
It would certainly help to see them before you purchase, just for your own convenience.

Mixed africans are often not 'pure strain' species, but you would want to identify whether they are Peacocks or Mbuna before working out a mix.

It also sounds as if you may have difficulty laying your hands on females, and may have to do an all-male tank.

You wouldn't mix the leopard ctenopma with them in any event.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Can any of you Cichlid experts suggest 4 or 5 species (In their Latin Name) of commonly found Africans that are colorful? Then, I will look them up on the internet, print them out and see if the LFS has them. I already know one type of cichlid I want and that is a Yellow Lab. I heard that I should have 4-5 species of cichlids with 3-4 of each for a 55 gallon tank.

Edit: I know I've seen this species of cichlid at the LFS, so I already have 2 types of cichlids for my tank. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Greshakeis (both regular and albino), socolofis (regular and albino), red zebras, johanniis are some of the most common species found in most lfs's, others are Kenyi, auratus and crabro (but it's suggested to keep them in 75gal+ setup because of extra aggression.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Good starters :

Pseudotropheus Socolofi (blue and albino are both lovely)
Iodotropheus Sperengae
Labidochromis Caereulus
Cynotilapia Afra (lots of variant colours)
Pseudotropheus Acei (both colour variants - yellow fin & white fin.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
How's this? 4 Labidochromis Caereulus, 4 Pseudotropheus Socolofi, 4 Pseudotropheus Saulosi, and 4 Metriaclima Estherae.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
If you'll be breeding them to sell the fry then I'll either skip on yellow labs or red zebras and get something else, yellow labs and estherae's would have a high chance of interbreeding even with enough females for each male (all mbuna/mouthbrooder could interbreed, but those two species have the highest chances reported in aquaria).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store