New to African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Right, if there are males and females in the same tank breeding is inevitable even when not expected, mbuna are some of the easier fish to breed. And if they are hybrids chances are the lfs won't except them, and in general selling hybrids is not encouraged, don't wanna sound like a hardass or discourage you from your plan, but that's the way it is.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
No, not at all, I completely understand. :) I guess I'll just have to euthanize them then. As I said, I didn't plan on breeding them in the first place.

ws66370

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
if you do not plan on breading why not just do an all male tank.....it will be a little more colorful anyways

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I'd rather have males and females that occasionally make eggs than only males that don't. Besides, the Pseudotropheus Socolofi are dimorphic, so males are different than females, and I want variety in my tank.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...skip on yellow labs or red zebras and get something else, yellow labs and estherae's would have a high chance of interbreeding even with enough females for each male (all mbuna/mouthbrooder could interbreed, but those two species have the highest chances reported in aquaria)....
In my experience I have NOT found this to be the case. I've kept large groups (10+) of yellow labs with moderate sized groups (6+) of red zebras for years. The only interaction I've seen is my male red zebra busting up fights between two male rival yellow labs (the alpha male red zebra doesn't like to witness any fighting he isn't involved in). A red zebra wouldn't be more prone to breed out of its species than a cobalt blue zebra.

Now red zebra/yellow lab hybrids are another story. Some of these can pass as red zebras to the untrained eye and might pursue a female yellow lab.

...Besides, the Pseudotropheus Socolofi are dimorphic, so males are different than females, and I want variety in my tank.
Socolofi's are monomorphic, perhaps you're thinking of a different species?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
How's this? 4 Labidochromis Caereulus, 4 Pseudotropheus Socolofi, 4 Pseudotropheus Saulosi, and 4 Metriaclima Estherae.
I'd say this combo is workable especially if a verified 1m/3f gender ratio is in place, though I like Coler's suggestions.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
^ yep If you can get the male female ratio I'd say you have a nice mix that has every chance of working out well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store