New to SW and need some suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
ok, change of plans. can anyone give me a quick list of equipment i need to get? i have a $200 budget. i will end up spending about 100 on the tanks, so it will leave me with 100 to spend on equipment. if this isnt enough, i cvan bump it up to 150$.

thx,

spencer

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
anything?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
nothing?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
On your budget, a little live rock, heater, powerheads, and religious weekly water changes is about all your going to get for your $. Seriously, it is better to save up for the right stuff and go minimal in the beginning than it is to buy cheap equipment. You can do a fish only/feather duster tank successfully with just making sure temperature, flow, and biological filtration are good along with weekly water changes until you can afford good equipment, which will lessen the frequency and amount of water changes as you add good equipment to clean the water. Cheapest filtration method is an Algae Turf Scrubber, but unless you buy a Santa Monica 25 scrubber when they come out then you will have to design and build one for your tank (few $ in PVC, lights, screen, and a pump in a container of some kind).

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
bump

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
I'm doing a 3 gallon pictotope reef tank and its going to cost me around 100. You could do a FOWLR for that cheap but lighting expensive as hell

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
could i do DIY lighting?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Ok, Im gonna revive this thread cuz I'm way close to being ready. I've got a 10 gallon that I'm gonna use. Its a downgrade, but I'm on a mini budget so I need to do wat I can afford.

I'm doing a nano reef setup with the following-

1 normal occelaris clown
3 sexy shrimp
1 dwarf feather duster
1 golden ricordia
1 yellow polyp colony
(possibly) 1 neon tree coral

Would this work? I'll be using an aquaclear 110 as a sump like steeled an does.

Thx,

Spencer:)

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
hi spencer,

the ac110 is not cheap so i don't know if that will effect your budget but with a 10 gallon, but you would be able to keep your heater, thermometer, etc hidden in the ac110 and at 500 GPH i think you would just need to get 1 smaller powerhead to go into tank. paint the back of the tank and there would be 0 clutter showing.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
hi spencer,

the ac110 is not cheap so i don't know if that will effect your budget but with a 10 gallon, but you would be able to keep your heater, thermometer, etc hidden in the ac110 and at 500 GPH i think you would just need to get 1 smaller powerhead to go into tank. paint the back of the tank and there would be 0 clutter showing.
cool! about how much do they cost?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store