New to SW and need some suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
About $80 I believe. You could use an AC 70 on a 10 gallon but you will likely lose the ability to put a heater in it. Aquaclears are great filters though. Very durable and quiet.

Livestock sounds fine but I would add the shrimp before the clown or add them at night (lights out). You don't want the clown thinking its dinner time when you add the shrimp :).

Eventually you will need to move the clown to a bigger tank but if you get a small one it will be ok for a while.

So what kind of lighting are we talking about?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
im not really sure. probly along the lines of 24 W, 10000 K. would that work? is there anything else i could use?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
About $80 I believe. You could use an AC 70 on a 10 gallon but you will likely lose the ability to put a heater in it. Aquaclears are great filters though. Very durable and quiet.

Livestock sounds fine but I would add the shrimp before the clown or add them at night (lights out). You don't want the clown thinking its dinner time when you add the shrimp :).

Eventually you will need to move the clown to a bigger tank but if you get a small one it will be ok for a while.

So what kind of lighting are we talking about?
a clown would get too big? are there any "dwarf" species?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
does anyone have a 10 gallon reef or anything smaller than 20 gallon reef? if so, can i see some pics? im not sure how i will get my LR in and make it look nice.

also, could i hide the heater behing a piece of live rock in the corner, or would this block the heat?

thx,

spencer

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
A full grown female ocellaris will be a heathly 3 to 4". Clowns do not swim a hole lot (mostly wiggle in one place) but mine do appreciate some room to swim. There are no dwarf clowns that I know of. A juvenile clown will take years to reach that size so you will have some time before you need to upgrade and even then a 20 long would be enough. Lots of people run small (pico) systems but I would say most nano size tanks are in the 20 to 40ish gallon range.

What kind of fixture are we talking about. 24 watt compact flourescent, T5HO? A standard aquarium bulb is not going to cut it.

IME, using smaller pieces of rock to build a structure is much more effective that a couple/few larger pieces. If you have trouble finding smaller pieces you can always break big rocks. Shoot for 8 to 12 pounds. You will want water flow around the heater so that the heat is better distrubuted in the tank. Yes you can hide it but don't "encase" the heater in rock.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
A full grown female ocellaris will be a heathly 3 to 4". Clowns do not swim a hole lot (mostly wiggle in one place) but mine do appreciate some room to swim. There are no dwarf clowns that I know of. A juvenile clown will take years to reach that size so you will have some time before you need to upgrade and even then a 20 long would be enough. Lots of people run small (pico) systems but I would say most nano size tanks are in the 20 to 40ish gallon range.

What kind of fixture are we talking about. 24 watt compact flourescent, T5HO? A standard aquarium bulb is not going to cut it.
probly T5, im not really sure. what type of lighting would work for my corals?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Compact fluorescent, T5HO, Metal Halide, LED or any combination. On a 10 gallon tank, a fixture with 2 x CF or T5HO bulbs would be sufficient (maybe even one) but your color options will be limited obviously. One 75W halide would be plenty as well. LEDs are a bit trickier as it depends on a number of factors.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Welcome to the dark side of fishkeeping! lol

Okay, on to the thread. For starters, a clown in a 20long would work so long as you kept the 20L open, not to much LR. Now, I recently bought 20lbs of Live Rock. Cost me $200 to do so. So... yea, salt water is expensive. I would (if I were you) save up for however long it takes to reach $1000, then buy the best possible equipment and a 30tall (aprox 29 gal). The 30tall would be plenty to house a clown, and I would use around 40lbs Live Rock (it's what I have right now). You stocking is fine for a FOWLR, but dump the bicolor if you go reef. As for the sump, I'm going to be using a 20L as my sump soon, and sumps are always a good idea with salt water. Lighting.... ouch, it's gonna hurt when you find out the price. I was looking, and the average cost was between $80 and $200 for lighting.... so yea.

When I first started all I bought was sand, LR, salt mix, fish, a filter, a heater, and a powerhead.. Cost me almost $400 back then. Now I added $200 to that for my 20lbs of LR I'm adding to the system, and probably another $50 for new stock (lost all but one for various, mostly unknown, reasons). The sump will add another $300 or so, and lighting for a tall tank like mine... $300 more. Totaled, that $1250 as my bet for my future set up... You will not get far with $100... Yep, I'm a party pooper who just killed that dream, aren't I? lol, sorries.

So, once you have the money, you can start the set up. Get 2 decent powerheads, decent lighting, no filter needed, heater, 20-30lbs of Live Rock for a 20L, 30-40lbs of Live Rock for a 30T. Sand substrate. Start without corals or fish, let the tank cycle (about a month ta two months time, I think). Then add your clean up crew (hermits, snails) and feed every few days. Around a week after that, add the smallest of your fish, then a week later the next few fish. never more then 3 fish at once, to help prevent a mini-cycle.

Now, I may be missing something, but did you say you wanted a 10gal nanotank? At best, stocking would be a pair of firefish and *maybe* corals if you get a good light. For that, maybe a filter. 2 smaller powerheads. Heater. Total cost around $300 or so.

I would not do the 10gal nanotank, they are hard to keep stable. Bigger is generally better, so go as big as you have space and money for. I think the 29gal would be the optimal option, if you can afford it and care for it properly. Save up $$$, read up on info, and take your time. Oh, and don't do what I did and try to rush it, that will ALWAYS end in disaster...

Good Luck, and hope I didn't crush the dream by pointing out the probably price :)

~Siv

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Welcome to the dark side of fishkeeping! lol

Okay, on to the thread. For starters, a clown in a 20long would work so long as you kept the 20L open, not to much LR. Now, I recently bought 20lbs of Live Rock. Cost me $200 to do so. So... yea, salt water is expensive. I would (if I were you) save up for however long it takes to reach $1000, then buy the best possible equipment and a 30tall (aprox 29 gal). The 30tall would be plenty to house a clown, and I would use around 40lbs Live Rock (it's what I have right now). You stocking is fine for a FOWLR, but dump the bicolor if you go reef. As for the sump, I'm going to be using a 20L as my sump soon, and sumps are always a good idea with salt water. Lighting.... ouch, it's gonna hurt when you find out the price. I was looking, and the average cost was between $80 and $200 for lighting.... so yea.

When I first started all I bought was sand, LR, salt mix, fish, a filter, a heater, and a powerhead.. Cost me almost $400 back then. Now I added $200 to that for my 20lbs of LR I'm adding to the system, and probably another $50 for new stock (lost all but one for various, mostly unknown, reasons). The sump will add another $300 or so, and lighting for a tall tank like mine... $300 more. Totaled, that $1250 as my bet for my future set up... You will not get far with $100... Yep, I'm a party pooper who just killed that dream, aren't I? lol, sorries.

So, once you have the money, you can start the set up. Get 2 decent powerheads, decent lighting, no filter needed, heater, 20-30lbs of Live Rock for a 20L, 30-40lbs of Live Rock for a 30T. Sand substrate. Start without corals or fish, let the tank cycle (about a month ta two months time, I think). Then add your clean up crew (hermits, snails) and feed every few days. Around a week after that, add the smallest of your fish, then a week later the next few fish. never more then 3 fish at once, to help prevent a mini-cycle.

Now, I may be missing something, but did you say you wanted a 10gal nanotank? At best, stocking would be a pair of firefish and *maybe* corals if you get a good light. For that, maybe a filter. 2 smaller powerheads. Heater. Total cost around $300 or so.

I would not do the 10gal nanotank, they are hard to keep stable. Bigger is generally better, so go as big as you have space and money for. I think the 29gal would be the optimal option, if you can afford it and care for it properly. Save up $$$, read up on info, and take your time. Oh, and don't do what I did and try to rush it, that will ALWAYS end in disaster...

Good Luck, and hope I didn't crush the dream by pointing out the probably price :)

~Siv
No you didn't, Im gonna get a bigger tank for it anyway. Probly a 29 gal or 26 bow. That will leave my 10 gal open to Red clawed crabs. :)

Also, could I make a sump out of a pickle jar or something?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Time out! I'm doin a 20 long with an aquaclear 110 sump!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store