Nitrates ... Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
pH changes should never increase or decrease by more than .2 in 24 hours. If you change the pH much more than that, it WILL "for sure" kill your fish. :eek:

My advice is to try to see how things go without changing the pH and then once these fish you have die out, stick to fish that like a high pH.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How long was the test sample sitting around before the LFS tested it? Can make a difference. For best results, keep the water in a cooler during transport. If you can, test your water from your tank with 2 different tests, and make sure they are both either broad range, or in the correct range for your water. Some test kits are high or low range. If you're using a low range kit, 7.2 might be the highest it can read, no matter what the water actually rates at. Before making any changes, make sure you are comfortable that you know the value of the water as it sits.

Also--sudden changes are bad, of any kind. Taking a fish from gross, goeey water and dropping it into a sparkling tank can cause shock as easily as the reverse. If your fish are alive and fine in your current water, there is no reason to change it unless you want them to breed. If you are looking to purchase more fish, then you'll need to acclimate them to the water--much easier than changing the tank.

Anona got it right--pH can be changed, but only carefully and with planning. The 'magic bullet' chemicals tend to cause problems other than bouncing pH, since they introduce nutrients for algae.

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
Daytonaguy,

Florida water can be tricky. With all of the limestone, it isn't unusual to have high ph. In addition, a lot of the treatement by the localities increases the ph. You may want to try the following. Get 5 gals or so of water and put an airstone in it for a couple of hours. Test your ph before and after. When I did this with water down here in South Florida, the ph dropped from 8.8 to 7.5.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A pH that drops after aeration is quite common--actually normal. This happens as the dissolved CO2 gases off--the CO2 gets in as the water sits in the pipes under pressure. Has nothing to do with it's base value. Also has nothing to do with this, as daytonaguy is referring to 2 seperate test results for the tank water, not the tap water.

Just wanted to clear that up! ;)

daytonaguy1111

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
daytona beach fl
Visit site
alright thanx for all the advice guys and gals...well my p,h is now at 7.6 buttt thats the highest that my test kit reads ,,,,so that means nothing i guess....the store was prob right....the fish seem great i havent loat any at all since i had the tank should i just leave it alone....I have a bubble wall in the back plus my filter so that should give it some airiation right....so any more ideas or just see what happens with it? thanx The good news is that my cycle is done !!!! that took a while ... thanx all Jon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store