Octopus tank (log)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
1-2 years ,unfortunately octos don't live very long :/

jowek7

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
watch them test kits b/c i have the same one and it is junk it dosent read right and its not expired. if change go with the instent ocean its alot better just some heads up. your might be fine mine is junk

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
thanks for the tip. Ill have my LFS test the water and see if everything matches up when i return the damsel.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Becuase of its size it likely wont be interested in the crabs, the damsel on the other hand is in danger. I cant make it to my LFS until the weekend and I don't have a spare tank so it will have to survive a couple of days (or be a welcoming dinner for the octo). I'm not too worried about him, hes peaty fast.
Wrong! He will eat everything in the tank at night when they are resting. Octopi are nocturnal, so when your fish and crab are unsuspecting they will get caught and eaten. Do some research. As an experienced octopus keeper, I do not recommend them for novice aquarists.

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
Wrong! He will eat everything in the tank at night when they are resting. Octopi are nocturnal, so when your fish and crab are unsuspecting they will get caught and eaten. Do some research. As an experienced octopus keeper, I do not recommend them for novice aquarists.
i did do my research and according to tonmo (the octopus news magazine online) theirs a chance he will not eat the crabs due to their small size...but I spacificly bought the least expensive crabs i could find knowing it was equally likely that they would be eaten. i assure you i have done my research. I have been reading up since last summer. i am fully aware of their nocturnal habits and i already said i knew my damsel was in danger(hence why im returning it ASAP). thanks for your concern but I would not get such a creature if i hadn't put sufficient research into it.

Last edited:

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
I am pretty sure that the briareus octopus prey on small crabs and shrimp as well as small fish in the wild...
yes they do. the crabs i bought were intended to be food if the octopus if was getting was still very young. If he still eats them as an adult...good thats what i got them for. they are not meant to be the cleanup crew. thats a job im reserving for starfish. The plan is to feed him frozen mysid shrimp(according to the seller he is used to frozen) if not i have some backup sources for live shore shrimp of fiddler crabs.

Last edited:

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
the 50gallon described in my sig. The one in my first post.
(36"x15"x20")

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store