OMG!!! My Plecos eyes are gone!!! AHHHH!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Very well covered filter. His fins are severly nipped on as well... Tip and tail fins that is... so I know someone is just being a complete *explitive*. I picked out the possible culprits....

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Watching tank to see if I can see anyone fishey doing the evil deed... not sure I will have a place for the pleco until tomorrow....

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Just to make it more sad... this is the little pleco a year ago before I aded the new guys who beat him up... and before I had a rock formation... he used to dance around to music when I was cleaning my place lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2wPr5E3zUw

VERY cute! LOL... he's like a cat... not a fish. I will save him. Thanks for all the advice and kind words guys!

*Just found a 30 gallon tank for $50 w/ heater and filter on craigslist* The guy who has it lives 2 blocks down! So I have hope. LOL.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
His eye looks like it's bleeding! Streaming down his body. (the missing eye) The white eye looks just white... the missing eye... it's like a cavern and its bleeding... anything I can do to make him more comfortable? my b/f is picking up the 30 gallon for him right now, and I have him in a tupperware dish to stay away from the cichlids. (I think they may have picked on him more because it wasnt bleeding at 5pm when I first saw it...)

Any advice on fish with bleeding wounds???

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I'll just keep him in UBER-clean water. He'll have a nice big tank to stretch out and heal in with no rush. He'll probably be there for several weeks... just worried about his eye bleeding at the moment...

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
How about little smear of Bacitracin Ointment. At least it may stop bleeding when enough is applied. havnt tried on pleco but had good results on other fish's lost eyes. Hope this heps a bit and wish you luck!
I never had this kind of problems at all on Plecos with many different variety of cichlids I kept.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
::WARNING::

GRAFFIC PHOTOS OF PLECO WITH MISSING EYES...

Yep- the white eye is gone now... 30 gallon is filtering, he'll be added as soon as I am done with this post... He'll have his own 30 gallons to roam and heal in!

Thanks again to everyone who posted advice and support on this thread. I've never dealt with an injury to a fish like this, and especially to a fish I care SO much about... I appreciate ya'll!

::WARNING::

::SERIOUSLY GROSS!::

(Sorry so big... photo bucket is down at the moment so I had to use myspace...)

THIS is the culprit... (I think... hes for sale on craigslist)

HIS POOR EYES! Check out his fins... this all happened TODAY. I looked at him yesterday just as pretty as can be.... :(

Bad huh? I sobbed when I first saw it... gasped and freaked... hence why my first post is crazy... I was in serious shock over the sight.

PS: Can you see how his scales are all puffed out??? What is that? Stress??? Defence??? or something else??? could he be sick as well? Is that why the possibly went after him all the sudden???

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Wow, poor guy was really the loser in that battle...

The scaling is likely a stress reaction + he likely has some degree of pine-coning (edema) after the attack. Regardless, concentrating on providing clean water is the best solution on all fronts. Pimafix/Melafix combo might be helpful but frankly, their efficacy is not proven and a daily, temp. matched and conditioned dose of clean water is his best chance.

It will likely be a while until he/she will contemplate eating again; you can try feeding in small quantities but don't be surprised if it is refused initially.

I'll really be pulling for you and this specimen in the coming days, Sara.

I'm not so hot on the ID of Central American cichlids.... blue dolphin?

Last edited:

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
6" long male "Pseudotropheus acei" Malawi Cichlid - Mbuna... JERK FACE!!!! lol. I love him too--- but I have weaker fish he'll probably move on to since I removed the pleco... thank god I check my tanks daily when I get home so I was able to get him out of there within 3 hours of noticing his ailments!

Thanks for the support. I hope he pulls through this. Hes a great little pleco. (He dances lol... I posted the you tube in another post on this thread... lol)

Thanks again!!! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store