Opaline Gouramies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
I'm thinking of possibly adding a pair or two of these to make my tank a mainly asian collection of flora and fuana, with the exception of the swordtails and the amazon sword. I posting becuase I don't know if I'm already stocked to the max or not.
My tank species stats are as follows:
1 redtail shark
5 swordtails (2 male adults, 3 growing fry)
6 zebra danios
13 white clouds
4 kuhli loaches

I also have a few other inverts in there too, but I don't believe they add too much to the bioload. I'd like to know what others have experienced with this fish and any aggression problems they've had or not.~Angela

bencozzy

AC Members
Apr 25, 2006
id say one pair to a tank or only add one male.

and your bioload should be fine. its a 55g right?

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
I had a female, she was a terror, bit a danio in half...I don't suggest against, but if it comes with a temperment I'd advise trading in...

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I've kept gouramies of various types togheter, and they will be calm as long as there is tall vegetation in the tank.

Tall plants (valisneria, ie) are a my success key to keep pacific gouramies.

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
Well that's good news:). My plants have yet to get a bit taller, it's mainly groundcover right now. Some vals might be a good addition to the background and for the gouramies. Seems like with a large tank, you always end up wanting to add something else. Must be the more-fish-syndrome, since I don't have any room for more tanks, yet...;)

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Opalines Will get 6 inches if well cared for, And IMO are an ideal centerpiece fish for a 55g. I don't think you will have trouble with the inhabitants you have, If you have trouble with the gourami's personalities, I might suggest one opaline and one pearl. Pearls are a little more peaceful as a rule, and are enough different in shape and color that the opalines seem to ignore them.

Either way I agree you can probably find two that will get along. I have had a few that were mean, but not many of the ones I've owned.

The red tailed shark is theonly fish you have that I would watch for aggression.
Dave

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Some floating plants usually make gouramis feel more secure. Water sprite works very well.

djblac

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
i would highly recommend a small school of maybe two or three thick-lipped or dwarf honey gouramis! I have 5 sunsent honeys (one store here sells them as thick-lipped, but others as sunset honey...might have to check that out), my 5 get along with everyone GREAT! they will rarely spar against eachother, so rare that it's a treat to catch them in the act. Most of the time they will actively explore the tank all in their own little nack, they will interact with eachother but mainly stay independent. But they completely get along with everything in my tank, although my golden honey gourami's are TINY! Smaller than the size of a 1/2 dollar (and they are full grown!) these guys would worry me around your shark. They sunsets on the other hand are a little larger, when full grown they are about the size of a opaline gourami juvi you might see at a store for sell. Just my two cents :)

OH but that shark does worry me a bit around gouramis ....gouramis do very poorly with fin-nippers or preditors

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store