Open to Suggestions....55G tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Felix T Cat

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Ok, so after a few false starts (first tank fill with the crushed coral substrate and don't want ph issues. Second tank fill with quality play sand and after 48 hours it was still way cloudy) my third fill with pool filter sand is FINALLY looking like a good start.

I'm looking for fish / plant suggestions. I would like to put some tall growing plants in the back two corners. Would prefer live tall, thin plants to just fill in behind the rocks.

As for fish, I would like to stay with smaller size 4" or under range and aim for good schooling / entertaining fish. I love Angels and read another post about combining angels and guppies so the Angels would keep the fry in line.

Tank equipment is 55G bowfront oceanic, pool filter substrate, Rena Xp2 canister filter, whisper heater, pool filter substrate, base rock (no live).

This is my first tank so I'm open to any suggestions / directions.

Thanks

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
for plants try jungle vallisneria, java ferns, anubias nana and javamoss. for fish it really depends on wat u like. u say u like angels u could do 2 angel pairs, 10 cory cats or dwarf loaches, and a school of larger tetras. also wat kind of lighting do u have? if u have incandescent bulbs get 2 30 watt flourescent bulbs and ur plants should fine

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
As you make this decision on fish..how are you cycling the tank?

on388

AC Members
Oct 4, 2008
You could also look at praecox rainbows, a nice school of them would look very nice, active and colorful along with some corys or small loaches

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
You could do an Amazon Biotope, 10 Cardinal tetras, 6 Rummynose Tetras, 6 Corydoras, a pair of German blue rams, and a Bristlenose Pleco. You'll need to take out the coral from the tank though, it wll raise the hardness of the water to a level that most tropical fish don't like. If you want to leave the coral there, you can get some African Cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store