Operation Overkill: 10 gallon reef build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yup
! the flow would probably be too much for anythign except sps, which is why that is all ill have in the open.; the rest of it will probably be sheilded on the other side of the tank. unless i do downgrade.
umm.. i dont knwo iff youve had any of the fish i jsut talked about, but they eat a LOT more than a flake a day... especialy in such a small tank, i will definatly have a fair share of nutrients for the skimmer to pick up. it may not be working to it's full potential on such a small tank, but it will definatly have something to suck up.
and yeah, i was thinking about doing a 150 watt DE halide, or possibly a 75, but before my 400, and even my 250, i had a 150. it did alright, but there was an OBVIOUS difference in growth and color in even monti's if you had them just a few inches down. all my corals right now are under a 400 watt, so going to the 250 shouldnt be too bad. if they do start to bleach, ill either push those ones to the side or just get some actinics in the canopy and leave the halides on for less time.
thank you for the feedback though :)
i'm thinking ill definatly have to lower the flow because this tank isnt a barebottom anymore. oh well.

PS: wesleyan :)

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
heha I want to se you SUPER ghetto canopy :grinyes: I was thinking the same thing when you said you are allowed up to a 10G tank but how many 10's are talking... :D loop hole?

I always wondered about your advatar. I just never asked. Cant wait to see some snapshots

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Wouldn't a 250 watt on a 10 gallon is just going to cause a roller coaster of temperature changes and salinity changes due to evaporation? You could easily run compact fluorescents and that be more then enough for whatever you wanted to house.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Wow, this is really going to put my 15 to shame! Good luck!

Have you thought about the Coralife clip on MH lamp? I know the equipment you listed is better quality than Coralife stuff, but it seems like a 250W lamp would really fry such a small tank...

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Wouldn't a 250 watt on a 10 gallon is just going to cause a roller coaster of temperature changes and salinity changes due to evaporation? You could easily run compact fluorescents and that be more then enough for whatever you wanted to house.
ive thought about that. i ran it for a whileand it actualy didnt seem to get super hot. the "canopy" is very well ventilated and ill be adding a good sized fan to the back of it. i was thinking of getting one of the JBJ 1/15th horsepower chillers, but id probably just downgrade lighting instead of spending 250 bucks again :(
we shall see how big of a temp change occures though.
wish me luck everyone! :)

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
oh a 250 on a ten wont be too bad but you will prolly want a 20k bulb as it will look alot better.
yeah. i bought a 20 K bulb but it was cracked, so i exchanged it for a 14 (the LFS didnt have any 20Ks left). it is really white right now. im goign to give it a shot for a while and if i dont like it, ill definatly switch to a 20 K :)

PS to everyone: itook a few pictures of what i ahve so far, but left my camera at my friend's house... and well, she is going to florida for 7 days tomorrow :(

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
I would say that 25w per gal.is overkill If thats what your asking(LOL)The suggestion to use compact flo.would be the most logical.If you are determined to use MH buy a 75w MH,That is plenty for a 10g

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store