Oranda w/ beginning dropsy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
she seems to be ok. she still eats very well :) still is pineconed on one side but it seem as if there is bubbles underneath her scales. ill add pic later if i can get it. I thought about putting some epsom salt. should i separate her or can i add to my reg tank with the other oranda and pictus catfish? If so...how much do i add to a 30 gallon long?

Today is the last day for the meds...i did a 10 day dose. I will now return to her usual which is peas, frozen bloodworms, shrimp etc...

I stopped using the ph up awhile back :)

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Is she constipated, do you think? Has she been pooing? I don't think I'd do the epsom salts if the signs indicate she is having good movement through her intestinal tract.

It does seem strange that she is still pineconed on one side only. I don't know what to make of that.

Maybe one of the goldie experts will be along with ideas on that, I hope.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
ive seen her poop but not alot. i dont know if shes constipated. when i do water changes , how big of a water change is good? and should i do it once a day? i mean for now obviously since shes sick :(

yeah the pineconing is on one side only wierdly enough. I didnt use any marycyn or any of that. i only used the medicated food so far.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I would advise against involving other fish in the epsom salt treatment. They do not need it. Only your oranda needs it. If I were in this situation, keep her isolated and do at least 20% daily water change. Give it at least 2-3 days to see if she improves. If not, you may use epsom salts.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
ok i have a tank thats a 2 gallon. can i put her in there for a bit?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
ok i have a tank thats a 2 gallon. can i put her in there for a bit?
I'd rather house him in a larger tank particularly a 10-15g, Pezzy. With goldfish being messy, a 2g will easily clog the ammonia and nitrite around and kill him faster than you can imagine.:(

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
she's been in it before and i would clean it everyday. quite honestly I dont think I could do anymore for her :( Shes now developing some black spots on her wen which i know arent ammonia burns as i checked the level and its O..plus my other 2 fish in the tank are fine.

Ugh i hate seeing her this way :( Ive already brought her back from past sickness once before but this one is really taking a toll on her. She's still eating great, moves around like normal and reacts with her little dance when i call for her

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
My oranda had black spots on his wen after an accident I had with my python and as soon as I put Melafix in, they went away. I don't know what everybody else thinks, or if it's worth a go. It only took about two days for them to disappear, and it was in direct response to the Melafix so I don't think it was blood clotting as I originally thought. Lupin, Kashta or Flaringshutter might have more to say on this though.

If you do plan to use Melafix, make sure you have lots of bubbles! I didn't have enough the first day and he was gulping at the surface like nobodies business.

And it wasn't a snake python, it was cleaning equipment :hitting:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Have you tried epsom salts yet, Pezzy? I did tell you to try epsom salts if conditions do not improve. She sounds like she is still going strong to me and I would rather give her a chance for another lease of life than to end it all.

In regards to the black spots on the wen, is it only the wen? Do you have pics of this?

As for Melafix, it does deplete oxygen levels which is why aeration is really a must when you treat with Melafix and Pimafix. A lot of meds are known to reduce oxygen levels drastically.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
no I have no tried epsom salt yet as you said to give it 3 days. ill be borrowing my moms hospital tank of 10 gallons tomorrow and transferring her to there. Should i use fresh water w/ prime or just use her tank water?

the spots are only on the wen

they look darker in person.

Ive used Melafix many many times. It fixed this coupled with the jungle lab stuff almost a year ago i think/ I thought I was going to lose her that time but she pulled through.

I have alot of oxygen going in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store