Oranda w/ beginning dropsy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
my baby is a fighter so im hoping she can pull through this :(

what should i have setup in her hospital tank? if i need a heater, id have to buy another one as i only have one for each of my tanks. how much epsom salt would i use in a 10 gallon...never used it before and im a lil worried of hurting her.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Keep the hospital barebottom with a sponge filter and a few plants (live or plastic) to keep her comfortable. For a 10g, I'd use 1/4 teaspoon of the epsom salt. Don't use any other salts especially as the fish is battling weak organ functions due to dropsy.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
ok i just watched her poo from beginning to end and it looks perfectly normal. im so confused. i just gave her peas for dinner.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
shes still eating great. just fed her some shrimp. the black spots are still appearing. its really strange. they arent raised. it looks as if she has dirt on her. is this a symptom of kidney failure? If she had kidney failure...could she poo normal???

argh quite honetly im very frustrated and have actually lost sleep over this. :(

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
noone has any answers?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
shes still eating great. just fed her some shrimp. the black spots are still appearing. its really strange. they arent raised. it looks as if she has dirt on her. is this a symptom of kidney failure? If she had kidney failure...could she poo normal???

argh quite honetly im very frustrated and have actually lost sleep over this. :(
Hmmm...What are the water parameters right now? Usually, the black smudges would be because of ammonia burn.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
its not ammonia burn. ammonia is at 0. I do a 30% or so change every 2-3 days now and my other 2 fish are fine. I think she might actually be changing to black?

so im thinking it wasnt dropsy as her scales seem to have gone down. grr i wish they could talk

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
its not ammonia burn. ammonia is at 0. I do a 30% or so change every 2-3 days now and my other 2 fish are fine. I think she might actually be changing to black?
Melanophore migration? Usually, they turn black because of poor water conditions or maintain their melanin (black/brown cells) because of direct sunlight responsible for sustaining the black tissues. Other causes would be trauma from changing treatments and water conditions. I have seen goldies shifting from black to other colors but vice versa, that is not always the case at all except in cases involving health issues.

so im thinking it wasnt dropsy as her scales seem to have gone down. grr i wish they could talk
If the scales protruded like pinecone before, it is dropsy. The recovery chances often are minimal but your goldfish simply managed to recover itself if the scales have gone back to normal.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
she passed this morning. I think her kidneys failed. just a feeling :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store