oscar vs more blood parrots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
actually i have seen BP get huge.. yes 5 is overstocked in a 120. 3 at most would be fine alone.
I know how big they get. Max size is 8 inches. I currently have 6 full sized ones in my planted 125. Wet dry filtration, weekly 70% water changes and plenty if territories.

I think your amount is conservative but not fully realistic on what can be kept healthy and good quality of life.

It's fine and all cool. But not applicable for everyone. I dont think as long as they are cared for right that its overstocked.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
well i gave my 2 cent worth of helpings..... take it or leave it.. let the fish suffer or make the right choice, its up to you..

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Yeah one Oscar should be good.

On a side note that is a lot of fish with great personalities sounds like it will be a fun tank to watch. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
i hope so. itll probably be a year before i can get one. my senegal bichrs have to grow some first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
One full grown oscar will easily occupy your 120 gallon tank alone. I've never understood why people like the things. Biting the heater, the hand of the fishkeeper, killing any other tank inhabitants (including plecos and other armored species)...

Once they are fully mature they get this crazed buggy eyed look, if you ask me. Perhaps I am prejudiced because these fish are caught all the time in the local bodies of water that I've inhabited throughout my life (in Miami and Ocala) and are freaking enormous and seem not like aquarium fish at all, no more so than bluegills or sunfish do...so they are probably my last choice for a big tank, but I understand people have a different aesthetic than I do.

Anyhow if you have your heart set on an oscar, go for it! There are probably tons of gorgeous rescue oscars out there if you look, and an 120 gallon tank is sooo much better than a 55, which most of these guys are lucky to end up in.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
One full grown oscar will easily occupy your 120 gallon tank alone. I've never understood why people like the things. Biting the heater, the hand of the fishkeeper, killing any other tank inhabitants (including plecos and other armored species)...

Once they are fully mature they get this crazed buggy eyed look, if you ask me. Perhaps I am prejudiced because these fish are caught all the time in the local bodies of water that I've inhabited throughout my life (in Miami and Ocala) and are freaking enormous and seem not like aquarium fish at all, no more so than bluegills or sunfish do.

Anyhow if you have your heart set on an oscar, go for it! There are probably tons of gorgeous rescue oscars out there if you look.
i want one for the personality. im very picky on their looks. most i agree are ugly. i would do anything for a longfin one though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Rachel's oscar, Captain Crankypants, is a beautiful specimen if you ask me. I don't know if it's her excellent care (I suspect it is) but this is one oscar that makes me go...dang! That's a fine looking oscar! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store