oscars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gerbil_dude

Alfredo DiMarco
Dec 5, 2004
birmingham
hi

i have a 24inch tank 15g
plastic plants
4 small rocks
and 2 small pieces of bogwood(5-9inchs)

how many oscars could i fit in there and when should i move them into a 38inch tank 22g

ive kept oscars before but they died when they were about 5inches

help me plz

Gulp

Nom, nom, nom.
Dec 16, 2003
Stockbridge, Georgia
Visit site
I would put zero oscars in a 15 gallon tank. One will outgrow it in 6 months, and an oscar will need a 50+ gallon tank within a year (based on my past oscar raising experience). For two oscars, you will need at least 70 gallons to give them enough room. I had 2 oscars in a 55 gallon tank and they were very crowded. They get up to 14" within two years with no problem. Unless you plan on upgrading to a 70+ gallon tank within the next two years, I'd pick a different type of fish to raise. Take a look at some of the smaller, but still agressive african cichlids that get 3-5" max. in size and you and your fish will be much happier.

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
I had 2 oscars, had them for about 3 months and they never grew. everyone said to watch how much I fed them, but I kept feeding them and feeding them trying to get them to grow, gave them lots of differnt things. they were little 2 or 3 inch ones. it was a 40 gallon tank, but then the tank broke and no more oscars for me. oh well. but I dont think they always grow fast. but id say the 40 I had would have been too small in the end anywayas. they get big.

gerbil_dude

Alfredo DiMarco
Dec 5, 2004
birmingham
MasterBlaster said:
Yur tanks too small, bro. That's it, in a nutshell. ;)
ive seen oscars before 2 they were about 9" in a 24g this was my dads tank

they were quit happy till we had a powercut for 5 days and they died (lack of heat or filteration)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Any fish can be kept in any tank. That is the power we as people have over fish. Now if you want to raise oscars that are healthy and truely happy (as happy as a fish can be) and that live a natural life span (for oscars I believe it is well over 15 years) then listen to the advice given. Truth be told I have seen 10 2 inch oscars at the pet store in a 10 gallon tank. Of course they were probably only there for 1 week at most, but hey if that is what you want to do then we can't stop you.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Big fish = Big tank....good luck and I hope you use good judgment.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
gerbil_dude said:
hi

i have a 24inch tank 15g
plastic plants
4 small rocks
and 2 small pieces of bogwood(5-9inchs)
Sounds like a nice little tank :D

gerbil_dude said:
how many oscars could i fit in there and when should i move them into a 38inch tank 22g
IMHO, I have to agree with the others - the tank just isn't suited to keeping oscars. Even a 22g isn't nearly big enough - I personally wouldn't keep an oscar in anything under 55g. I had a lone oscar in my 45g, and even at 8" or so he was getting big for the tank. He developed an illness I couldn't cure (I think now he may have had TB) and I lost him, but if I still had him I most likely would have gotten him a much larger tank.

Oscars are large and messy, and suited to large tanks with powerful filters. I'd recommend finding fish more suited to life in a 15g - there are some tiny fish with big attitudes; if it's the oscar's beligerant personality you're after something like a betta may suit. If you're hooked on cichlids, there are smaller types (rams, shell dwellers) that are much more suited to life in a small tank.

Please consider the fish's best interest and only get an oscar if you have the space to keep one comfortably.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store