Otocin Babies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
wait i thought breeding otos where semi difficult lol
Apparently they are. I either got lucky or those are baby mini bushynose plecs. We shall see.

00Smurf said:
What kind of plants are in your tank. That looks really nice and green!
Thanks Double Oh Smurf. I have three types of J. Fern, Bolbitis, and Anubias nana 'pucci'. Also have several stems of Amazon chidome [Pennywort] Thats it. Its the same tank as in my avatar, but a few months ago I pulled out all the riccia and stem plants.

pH: ~6.5
tmp: 26.5°

UPDATE: Otocin or Plec babies? [new pics]

Just took some more pictures of the little guys. These came out pretty good. So I am asking for your help . . . Do you think these are otocin kittens or plec kittens?

I am still leaning toward otos.... but after hearing all the replies about it being somewhat of a phenomenon I lost some of my confidence.

Anyway the pics!

[last pic is of one of my mini bushies... notice the prominent bristles, the other one has none, also in the pic is a Siamese algae eater and if you have a good eye, an otocin]

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg plec.jpg

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Those little tails sure look like otos to me!!!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I'm gonna guess pleco babies because they are dark....darker than what ottos would be.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Great pics, SA. I'd say otos, because of the barred tailfins and the slenderness, although the main body colour makes me wonder. Maybe some have that shade of colour only when young?

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
otos for sure....they do not look like pleco fry to me.......

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Maybe it's a Pleco / Oto crossbreed? :eek:

Looks like an Oto to me, but I've never seen their fry. Also, I'd trust those with pleco breeding experience personally because I've never seen hatchlings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store