Pacific blue or powder blue tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
It says they are captured as larvae. Which to me is a lot better then being captured as an adult.

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
Did some research. Turns out 99% of larvae get eated by predators. So harvesting them is saving them.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You think fish are better left in the ocean yet you fuel the demand for them?

How is he fueling the demand for species he feels are better left in the ocean? Some species just don't make good home aquaria candidates. Some not even with large public systems. Perhaps one day some of them will be better candidates but generally it is best to leave the research to advanced aquarists.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Honda, I don't wish to change your mind. But have you considered fish that are captured more humanely? The yellow tang for instance, the ones captured in Hawaiian waters come from prolific waters and are not captured by cyanide to the best of my knowledge.

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
I'll definetly consider it. Even if it was wild caught, I could give it a home where it's protected and doesn't have to worry about having food or anything. I would feel better putting something like a yellow tang or a purple tang into a 75 unlike a pacific blue which may be uncomfortable in it. Definetly something to think about.

mrtuskfish

AC Members
Jul 13, 2007
If I do my homework and do all I can to provide a good home for a difficult fish and it dies; I'm not going to feel any more guilty than I would if I order the grilled halibut at dinner tonight. Funny; a few days ago, there was a thread applauding the entry of PetSmart into the saltwater business. I don't have any facts; but I'll bet Petco (and now PetSmart) will be responsible for more lost fish, because of the inexperience of the staff and mass marketing approach, than "difficult" fish lost by all the worlds serious fish keepers. I know this is a big issue with many folks; and I'll always respect their opinion.

ps. How do they identify larval fish? These usually live in the huge masses of "larval soup" along with countless other forms of life. What happens to all that life that is netted along with the larval tangs. It just doesn't seem possible to me that someone could pick out one larvae species from that huge mass. "Baby" fish; maybe.

Last edited:

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
You know now that I look at it, it say larvae or post larvae. So after larvae. I'm not sure. I'll definetly look into that.

Kodiak

Lovin it
Aug 13, 2007
Columbus, OH
How is he fueling the demand for species he feels are better left in the ocean? Some species just don't make good home aquaria candidates. Some not even with large public systems. Perhaps one day some of them will be better candidates but generally it is best to leave the research to advanced aquarists.
I said he was fueling the demand for "fish" i didnt name a species. I read back and reliazed he was talking about a specfic species. Never less a fish is a fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store