Pacific blue or powder blue tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrtuskfish

AC Members
Jul 13, 2007
I said he was fueling the demand for "fish" i didnt name a species. I read back and reliazed he was talking about a specfic species. Never less a fish is a fish.
Right, some are prettier than others and some are tastier.We're not talking about endangered species and I don't advocate just throwing up dollars and seeing what sticks. But nobody in this hobby should not be put on a guilt trip if they lose a fish. IF, and only IF; they have researched and think they have the skills to take care of that fish. If that isn't the case, why don't we all just keep damsels; to me, seeing a "challenging" fish thrive is a big part of the hobby.
IMO, most wildlife has 3 main priorities: 1.eat 2.avoid being eaten 3, reproduce. (with me; #3 often outweighs #1&#2). So I guess any fish we keep is being denied his basic "rights" because they can't reproduce in captivity. The guilt is getting to me; I'm going to my den and consider suicide! (not really, someone would call the police if I didn't do a disclaimer)

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
For me it isn't that taking fish from the wild is destroying the fish population because it really isn't. For me it's fish being taken from their family, placed in bags and being placed in tanks without them ever knowing what happened.

Kodiak

Lovin it
Aug 13, 2007
Columbus, OH
For me it isn't that taking fish from the wild is destroying the fish population because it really isn't. For me it's fish being taken from their family, placed in bags and being placed in tanks without them ever knowing what happened.

Have you seen finding nemo?

Kodiak

Lovin it
Aug 13, 2007
Columbus, OH
Right, some are prettier than others and some are tastier.We're not talking about endangered species and I don't advocate just throwing up dollars and seeing what sticks. But nobody in this hobby should not be put on a guilt trip if they lose a fish. IF, and only IF; they have researched and think they have the skills to take care of that fish. If that isn't the case, why don't we all just keep damsels; to me, seeing a "challenging" fish thrive is a big part of the hobby.
IMO, most wildlife has 3 main priorities: 1.eat 2.avoid being eaten 3, reproduce. (with me; #3 often outweighs #1&#2). So I guess any fish we keep is being denied his basic "rights" because they can't reproduce in captivity. The guilt is getting to me; I'm going to my den and consider suicide! (not really, someone would call the police if I didn't do a disclaimer)

I eat cows, lambs, turkeys, chickens, frogs, fish, pigs, and countless other stuff. As long as the fish in the tank has a big enough living space and is treated right, then im all about this hobby. As humans we kill and eat things like mad, so having a little nemo in my tank isnt going to be the end.

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
I'd still think that even if there wasn't that movie. I don't know, mabey fish don't have the same feelings as we do.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The difference here for me is that when I bring a fish home it is a pet. I don't want my dog to die..I don't want my fish to die.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Can we please keep this thread regarding the OP's question please. This thread is nothing to do with people eating lamb or frogs, or emotional trips...this thread is regarding should "Pacific blue or powder blue tang?" as a fish to buy.

So, lets keep this on track please.

Thanks

Niko

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
Did some research. Turns out 99% of larvae get eated by predators. So harvesting them is saving them.

No, it is not saving them. Lets say you start with 100 larvae. 99 are eaten, and the remaining one fish that survives is taken to be "captive reared". I have a hard time believing that they manage to find the actual larvae, which are quite small in comparison to the collecting area, versus just younger fish.

Even if it is from the larvae, in no way is it saving the fish, just adding to the strain by reducing the number of individuals that can survive and reproduce again in their natural habitat.

Having just seen Niko's reminder, I'll go no further than to say: if you are going to take the fish, make sure it lives well.

B.W.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store