painting back of a fish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Everyone has given good advice, so i won't try and over explain what they already have, but I will add a warning. Once you paint the back of the tank, be very careful if you use HOB filters. I have painted many with no problems, but just did one over the weekend and went to put the 2 emp 400's on. Being careless and basically just tossed them on, put a big scratch visible from the front of the tank.:wall: :swear: It looks like a long shiny mirror like line.
it's a good thing it's only a temporary set up so I'll be taking it back down soon and will fix it then. If it weren't I'd be up a creek.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I'm planning to paint the back of a tank myself and seems Krylon is the favorite out of all other types of spray paints. Also, if it's a latex paint, you can peel it off if you don't like it for some reason.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
I'm planning to paint the back of a tank myself and seems Krylon is the favorite out of all other types of spray paints. Also, if it's a latex paint, you can peel it off if you don't like it for some reason.
Krylon is a very good paint, but if you wanted to save some money you can use the el-cheapo 97¢ can spray paint. Krylon is $3 and something. I just did a 100 gallon over the weekend and it took 2 cans to get a good coat so that no light was visible. I use Krylon myself for other jobs, but the back of the tank isn't going to take any wear and tear or other aspects of application and abuse you would want a high quality paint for.

And no, the huge scratch I just put in the paint wasn't b/c I used the cheap stuff. It was Krylon b/c that's what I already had here. i have used the cheap stuff on other tanks and it is just fine.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
I used Krylon Fusion for the back of an acrylic piece that was going in the tank, makes an excellent background if turned around so the painted side is facing the back. Also helpful in hiding scratches and the such. Though, you do have to be careful, acrylic does scratch VERY easily.

johnhoover

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I got a quart of flat black latex from one of the big box stores (Glidden brand), using cheap roller or brush, applying 4-6 heavy coats and allowing to completely dry between I'm really happy with. I'm currently painting my 3rd 20gal from the same $9 quart. I'm not keen on spray cans as I never feel that I get a thick enough layer of paint. My weather doesn't allow painting outside and I'm not comfortable using spray cans in the house.

I completely agree with the warning about scraping the paint off, but that also allows for the easy removal when you change your mind.

John.

hypockets

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2006
STARTING 65 g MALAWI TANK

i AM NOT NEW TO CICHLIDS BUT I STILL WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS FOR
STOCCKING A 65g ALL MALE,COLORFUL TANK..GRAVEL BLACK TAHITIAN WITH TEXAS HOLY ROCK..

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
i AM NOT NEW TO CICHLIDS BUT I STILL WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS FOR
STOCCKING A 65g ALL MALE,COLORFUL TANK..GRAVEL BLACK TAHITIAN WITH TEXAS HOLY ROCK..
Then you should get your own thread.

As far as the painting goes I use rustoleum indoor/outdoor flat black latex and it works fine. I used a roller because the tanks were already set up so I didn't want to spray them with fish in there. The roller is very easy but again it will take 3 to 4 coats to get a nice finish.

cassidy111

Inexperienced but learning
Jan 29, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, so there is some really good advice here, but no pics. I'm just trying to find a pic of a tank with black paint on the back, so that I can decide to paint mine. I will have to paint it inside (in the house, not inside the tank), so it will be rolled on. So if you have a tank with black paint on the back, rolled on, please post an image of it front and back along with a bit of how you did it and what worked/didn't work. :)

Thanks all! This forum is great!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
if you're worried about scratching the back there are office supply stores that sell adhesive book cover rolls. You can cut them to fit and it's reuseable :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store