Peacock Gudgeon Spawning!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I wait to pull the spawning tube until the fry are wiggling, to avoid the fungus issue. However, I have pulled them early before, and I just piped in some air since I already had the 1/4 inch PVC going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGzDFfSqhk

The fry are large enough to eat microworms right off the bat, but its a good idea to add java moss for good measure, and if handy, a good sponge filter squeezing or two.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
more spawning behavoir. Male dissappeared for a few days and reappeared with a skinnier female so I think they laid eggs somewhere else in the tank and were probably eaten. I had high hopes when I saw them in the tube. Anyhow he's pimp with 3 other females. =)

updated pics by some miracle the 10fry are all still alive. feeding first bites and bbs. They are attacking the bbs but are not able to eat them whole yet. Hopefully they can grow a few more days and be able to eat some soon. Algae off the moss and maybe the first bites are keeping them fed I guess.
Oct 10pic of fry

DSC_1045.JPG DSC_1042.JPG oct10a.JPG oct10.JPG

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
the fry are doing good, only had to cull one that might have been crushed early during the fry phases. Eating bbs like crazy but hates the first bites =(. hopefully I can wean them onto crushed flakes in a couple weeks. For now though bbs it is.

moved my pygmy cory in there to help eat the storm of bbs

DSC_0104.JPG DSC_0105.JPG DSC_0109.JPG

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
fantastic news. keep up the good work.

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
That is just too cool. Baby fish that are too small to eat bbs will feed well from a seasoned sponge filter. I had a spawn of baby bettas once and I removed the parents from the tank and I thought all of the fry had died. I didn't pay any attention to the tank until about three weeks later when I noticed something darting around and when I looked closer there were baby bettas, the only thing that was in the tank was a seasoned sponge filter.

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
1month mark yay!!!

besides some of the fry being eaten by the pygmy cories I only had to cull 1. parents still have been doing their spawning dance for the last week or so. But the fry are really slow growing. They are finally looking like gudgeons. They will only eat bbs unfortunately, hopefully when they get bigger they can go to flake like their parents.

DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0021.JPG

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Looks great! I would love to try these one day :)

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
WoW! Great pictures! So exciting!!! Congratulations!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store