PetSmart expanding saltwater selection

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Our Petco does SW but Petsmart doesn't as far as fish go.. They have an Uber small salt section and many employees have stated that their policy is not to sell SW fish because the owners don't agree with how they are harvested from the ocean.. (just repeating what I was told, have no clue if it is the truth).
Their reason is it "they are too delicate" and how too many people would come back complaining. I know some of them do know about how some fish are captured and think it is wrong. I've only talked to a few people above general management, but this is all I've heard.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Man I feel so sorry for everyone who doesnt have a quality petco like I do. Its for one 5 min away from my house (petsmart is like 3min) The petsmart has skimmers LS Pumps, lights, stuff like that. BUT my petco has LS, white reef sand, skimmers, chemicals, diffrent fish food, by either haikari, formula one and two (frozen and flake), san fransico bay, they carry silversides, krill, bloodworms, mysis, 3 diffrent versions of algea, and they even carry full life spectarum *SP* as far as live stock they get a BUTT load of diffrent fish that my lfs either get or dont get and they sell them A LOT cheaper, I actually bought 2 black and whites from them today, Im so stoked as that is the ONLY fish I have ever wanted, I got a pair for about 80. My lfs sell theirs for 60 bucks EACH!! but As of right now I saw a Rainford's Butterflyfish that is just Magnificent. two purple tangs about 5 diffrent types of anthias (off the top of my head I saw, yellow,pink,"x-mas",purple queen, and randalls anthias) standard yellow tangs, blue hippos, Mandarins. Signal gobys brown heniochus, angler fish, and so many i can recall.

I have seen them get in, Fu-man chus, dwarf lions, volitans, snowflake, wolf eels, blue reef chromis, blue-green chromis, sargent majors, butterfly heniochus,klein, power blues, browns, Naso Streamer (where I got my naso from) koles, niger, picaso,clown,pinktail triggers, porcupine,dogface,hawaiin,saddleback puffers, soldierfish, paddlefin wrasses, lunar,fairy,bluehead wrasses, halequin clown,basslet. red,blue and chocolate sea star. (and these are once in a blue moon this is at least a couple times a month)

corals they get in are hawaiin,pink, orange xmas feathers, mushrooms, rics, xenia, blue maximas, clams, leathers, zoa, buttons, lta, condys, cues, bubbles, most of my corals have come from there they are trying to get in frogspawn, hammers, carpet anemones, more clams.

I can pretty much get whatever I need, As the naso streamer was a special order just for me. and I get it at a cheaper price than my lfs, even though they use the SAME vendor!!I do however wish that they got more chemicals and reef crystals, maybe more of a lighting selection. I am torn on getting either a 55G or a 40G breader tank for this upcomming 1/gallon sale, I want to turn it into a reef, I have seen he palets FULL of tanks, makes me salivate :naughty:

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
i was looking at it and love the width, its okay lenght wise, the 55g is long :) but not nearly as wide.

40G-1
55G-0

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I wouldn't buy from petco again. Everything I've purchased from them has died, and it wasn't my tank, as all my other fish have been doing amazing.

BMorgan

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
Northern California
I think it really just depends on the individual store and who is managing the SW section. I know that different PetCos can have different maintenance routines depending on who is running it.

SHK, it sounds like you have a pretty sweet PetCo there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store