Petsmart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slowlyburn

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
Pittsburgh PA
Like it has been posted allready... Do your homework first... DO NOT just go and impulse buy fish... I know you "got some bad info" but its really not there fault... Most of the employees at my petco and petsmart are highschool kids! I'm sorry but even though I may not know as much as the next guy about some things, I do know enough to jump on the www and figure it out myself if I can. Allthough you could allways come here and ask first... Trust me fish dont like to be put in a bag to go to your house and they really dont like it when they have to get netted 2 times a week for people who dont do research. I wont lie to you though... I did it with my first fish who was an oscar. Had him in a 20g for about hmm...5 months... Yeah thats where my 55g came from... I guess you live and learn. And yea just print the web page and walk it into the store...

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
The Petsmart in my area is pretty good. I go to the one in my area quite often and most of the employees are good. The best thing to do is as stated before do your research first. When you go and are not sure if the person knows much simply ask them if they know anything about fish. Most will be honest if they do or don't. You can then make a judgement call from there if you want to deal with them. If not come back at a different time when a different person is working that does know what they are doing. When I go in I always deal with the same person. She is the manager of the store and she seems to know what she is doing. I have explained why I like to only deal with her and she seems to understand my point. If she is not there I will get what I need but if I need fish I will tell the people the proper way to net the fish and bag them if they are doing it wrong. I'm not a prick about it I just explain that I am picky about my fish and to not take offence. This tends to work well for me.

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
cajinfry said:
I think we all should go out and get a Part-time or full time for those unemployed at your local Petsmart/petco and save the world.... Ok not the world but atleast you might be able to do something proactive instead of just complaining...... If you had one bad experience why go back? Work there so you can help other people..... Ok I know that may not be feasible for us al but hey some of you dont have jobs or need a part-time job so if that is you and your complaining the go get an application..

Chris
I tried, I'm a college student trying to get some extra cash. My PetSmart won't even give you an application in the store- they tell you to apply online. Well, I did. They still have uninformed people working in the store and I never got called. So, that isn't an option in MOST cases...

The solution to the whole PetSmart conflicts is simply, be an RESOPONSIBLE CONSUMER! Unfortunately, it is the beginners that PetSmart gives bad advice to and manages to sell them tons of stuff whether they need it or not or whether should have it or not and sells them fish that they cannot house without telling them anything true about the fish.

For some, a locally owned fish store isn't an option because some towns simply don't have them.

As said, not all PetSmart employees are dumb. Obviously we have a forum-member who works in a PetSmart and there is one lady in my PetSmart that seems to be very informed.

I had noticed in my PetSmart that the common plec label says a tank of 30+ gallons is required. I once mentioned that to the lady that is good at my PetSmart and she said that they have no control over the identification labels that are put out by the chain. (I asked in a conversation, I wasn't being rude)

The truth is, the employees are just trying to make money and pay their bills just like the rest of us and they can't boycott the labels and tear them down and then lose their jobs.

So, it is just one of those things where people just need to be careful when getting advice from the stores and we simply need to try to tell beginners to be careful so that they don't fall victim to someone who doesn't know what they are selling.

And I got a little rambling there .... sorry EDIT: and I just looked back and some of what I saidwas stated in other posts while I was typing)

Last edited:

cajinfry

Fishkeeper in the making
Jul 3, 2006
Texas
Catlover

All I do is print out the information with price from petsmart website and then take it in and they will match it.

yonsu

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
OrandaLover0905 said:
Hey To every one out there Pets mart tricked me This is there words
"^6Fish can live happily ion a 10 GAl .. I am so Upset THIS is why my fish got ......................................Please i am begging you guys out there petsmart is a fake they also told me " We will take you goldfish babbies ..THose liars :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( Please i just spent a lot ofmoney upgrading my 10 gal to a20 gal My dad just believes my grandpa SEEE my other forums )I have a 20 gal With 6 fish Goldfish Oranda's My favorite animal in the world .. please help what should i do ???????????
First of all, you should have done research before going out and buying 6 goldfish. An identification tag is located on each aquarium in PetSmart, each noting minimum aquarium size and maximum length of the fish (although they are sometimes incorrect). Just skimming one of these would have told you that one goldfish can barely be kept in a 10 gallon (depending on species). Don't cry about how you were 'duped;' do research.

At this point, I would recommend returning most of the goldfish to the store. It should be no problem. Also, speak to a manager about the misinformation. He or she should do his best to correct the problem.

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
cajinfry said:
Catlover

All I do is print out the information with price from petsmart website and then take it in and they will match it.
cool, will try. :clap:

mtbikerj

AC Members
Jul 7, 2006
Worcester, MA
I always test the people at the pet store by asking them a question that I already know the answer to. Something like, "Will these Lemon Tetras cycle my tank well?" If they say "yes" or seem to not understand what cycling is, find a different employee for your question, or just wait and research online. Pet stores can be great for good prices and a wide selection, but when it comes to questions, ask them here, not at the store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store