Pictures of my new 90 gallon overflow setup!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
senos said:
well... I think I figured it out partially. I removed the glass covers and the temp dropped a few degrees. What is everyone using over their tanks? I completely removed the glass from mine. Is this ok? or will the fish jump out? I still have the wood canopy over the tank but it lets air escape easily. I may install some fans as well, but I wanna make sure its ok that I leave the glass covers off. I can deal with the evaporation. Opinions?

-Dave
I use eggcrate, like they use for fluorescent fixtures. Doesn't block light, allows circulation, keeps fish in.

You might ge a cheap clip-on fan for the sump, in case you want a little more cooling.

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
egg crate sounds like a good idea.... Thanks!

Also, what do you have for lights? are your bulbs protected from the water by lexan or glass? or do they just sit directly over the water? Mine got all gunky when i left them over the water for a few days. I actually had to clean off the bulbs. So for now I put glass just underneath where the lights are...

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I try to keep air bubbles to a minimum to reduce saltcreep and splash on the lights. My halides are about 10" above the water, and don't get any splash. The T5 actinics are about 4-6" off the water and get a little crusty, so I rinse them every few weeks. Putting glass underneath is a very good idea.

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
New Additions!! (Pictures!)

Ok so today I brought home some more goodies. Starfish, turbo snails, zebra snail, halloween snail, some crabs, etc... Basically half of my clean-up crew. The starfish is really neat.. it sifted over the sand for a while today eating up brown algae, then it buried itself and I haven't seen it for a few hours. Also I solved my overheating problem by removing the glass tops. The tank runs much cooler now, even with all the equipment and lights turned on. I also added another 2 bulbs, now theres four T12 fluorescents (2 actinic and 2 daylight). Everything is running smoothly so far, and water chemistry is nicely balanced. Enjoy the pictures! -Dave

Snails eating brown algae off the overflow column

Nice picture of everything so far

The starfish... I love it!

The new lighting really brings out all the colors!

Hermit crab starting to come out of his shell

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
More new additions... (pictures!)

I recently added two common clownfish, aka Nemos :). They are cute, it's fun watching them swim. They mostly wiggle back and forth. They seem to be healthy. I took the risk of not quarantining these guys since they are hardy enough. From now on I will definately quarantine the rest of my additions though. Enjoy the photos!

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Glad you solved the overheating problem. What are your additional stocking plans?

--Mike

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Ya the overheating problem was simply solved by venting the top of the tank. I just simply removed half of the glass to allow heat to dissipate off the surfact of the water. Now my temperatures are about 76/77 in the night, and 78/79 in the day. I could get it even lower if I leave the wooden canopy open during the day while the lights are on (or i could just install some fans), but how does my current temp range sound?

Also for future stocking... I mentioned my original list earlier in this thread, but after some criticism and some more reading I think I plan to stock it a little lighter than originally planned. Right now I have the green chromis damsels, and the clowns. Next I want to add a regal tang (I know they are ich magnets so i will quarantine him), then thinking about some cardinals, angelfish, scooter blenny, etc... I was actually thinking of removing most of my larger turbo snails because they seem to be eating my purple coraline algae!

Last edited:

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Preffered Test Kits??

Can anyone tell me what type of test kits they use? My local fish store is telling my that seachem is the best (also most expensive), and so I purchased the full line of Seachem tests and find them to be more difficult than other cheaper tests and a bit hard to read sometimes. What's everyones preffered brand-name test or method of testing their marine tanks for PH, Alkalinity, Nitrate/Nitrite, Phosphate, Ammonia, Calcium? I get frustrated with my test results from Seachem tests.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store