Pimafix and Melafix--are they effective??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Worked for my pleco, was a disaster for my betta. He's still handicapped as a result of a treatment.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Great post Marv, and welcome to the boards btw. You mentioned a hydrogen peroxide bath. Could you elaborate on the details?

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
I use peroxide for most healing procedures ie; if my fish have any type of wound caused by aggression or mating I use one capful of peroxide per gallon and it does the trick
:confused: Could you elaborate? A specific kind or any generic? Sorry but don't want to use the wrong stuff. Thanx, "T"

schmidtfarm

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
North Carolina
BTW I used Melafix recently in a quaranteen tank of pencils, tetras and SAE's. Melafix killed the pencils within minutes. A web search revealed that Melafix has been implicated in killing labyrinth fish as well as Beckfordi Pencils. I've sent two emails to API with no response.:headshake2: I'll never use the stuff again.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Melafix and Pimafix are the orange juice and chicken soup of the fish world. They are not medicines, or antibiotics, but if your fish have a minor problem - a scrape, a split fin, a teeny bit of fungus - it can make them feel better.

Fishstix3000

Beware the Caerbannog Rabbit!
Nov 23, 2008
Well, at least they were being comforted. lol

The Maracyn has been awesome (I'm using the powder packets). Unfortunately the guppies I was originally treating with the pima and melafix were too far gone when I started it, but the rest of the fish had been flashing quite often, and they stopped the day after I started treatment. One of the fish was begining to have fin rot, and that cleared right up. No more cases of columnaris either, and it is the 4th day of treatment.

I'm really mad at API, because they make all kinds of claims on the bottles for both Pimafix and Melafix which HAVE to qualify as false advertising.

Thanks for all the advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store