Pimafix and Melafix--are they effective??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I tried Melafix once and it killed 3 of my tetras--nothing was wrong with the neons--except for the Melafix. I won't use it again.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well, tea tree oil - the active ingredient in Melafix -really does have antiseptic and antifungal properties. people use it for treating small cuts (like a replacement for neosporin) and is included in some products to treat dandruff and athlete's foot, which are fungal problems. the bigger issue of whether it works or not is more based on the extent of the disease by the time treatment is started, and the concentration of oil used. like the neosporin, if you get a small cut and put it on right away, it will most likely prevent any further problems, but if you already have a raging infection and your finger is about to fall off, an over-the-counter antiseptic ointment isn't going to help anymore. there are limits, and a lot of the problems may be user error, but if it really does harm certain types of fish, that should be tested and reported.

i know i don't like to use pimafix in my main tank anymore because it does *something* to the clown plecos. usually they hide all the time and i'm lucky to see them, but when i use pimafix it's like they can't breathe well, so they come out and sit all the way at the top of the driftwood (2 foot deep tank, they climb up the wood to 6 inches below the surface of the water), and they breach for air as well.

Zebulon

Allergic
May 9, 2007
At the Bottom, gilling rapidly.
Melafix seems effective at speeding the repair of fin injuries, and preventing infection in fresh injuries. Treatment for serious disease? I wouldn't go that far. It seems to aid in relocation and acclimation. It also smells nice. Don't expect anything else and it's perfectly ok stuff, if overpriced for the concentration it comes in.

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
I'm going to bump this for Pimafix and Melafix users. I was told both work well so I started using both of these about two months ago and have not noticed at significant improvements. A day or two ago, I was talking about using this on one of the threads and someone remarked that Pima- and Melafix are "vitamins" and not medicine. This intrigued me and led me to search and find this post. For those who are considering using Pimafix and Melafix as medication, I would stray away from it. I think I've come to the conclusion that both of the products are more of a preventative than an actual remedy. :)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Yep.^^^ Good reason for me not to recommend it. Why bother when you can save your bucks for a few packs of salt as a precaution and bill for water (if you're paying)?

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
I've used melafix and it seemed to help repair fin damage faster than without. It didn't seem to bring anybody back from the brink though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store