Piranha versus goldie!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Ok you're missing the point here. Its OK if the piranha is eating the animal - what ever it may be, but when someone is actually enjoying the shredding of the animal during the feeding, then there is something wrong. ENJOYING is the key word.

atc_ben said:
And we all know that wild piranhas would never, ever consider eating a fish, or any other mammal, that it couldn't swallow in one bite. Come on people! What do you think those huge incisors are for?! That's how piranhas feed! That's why they're called piranhas! It means tooth fish. Are you really gonna argue that it's only morally acceptable to feed piranhas feeders that are small enough for them to swallow whole? As if being eaten whole and being slowly disovled by stomach enzymes is a better death than being eaten piece by piece and slowly disolved. A small fish still dies, and a bigger fish still gets calories and protein. Get a grip on yourselves people.

If it makes you feel better, just pretend those piranhas were tearing apart a hatchling of some (obviously non-endangered) bird that fell from it's nest and into the Amazon River.

By the way, you have no idea what that person's reason is for owning piranhas, but out of sheer curiousity, what would be the "right" reason? I own fish so I can observe their behavior, and that includes watching them eat.

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
*sigh* As I said, I don’t have a problem with the darn fish eating another fish, I have an issue with the sigma surrounding these types of violent fish and the reason why they are often bought. I guess the ‘right reason’ for owning these fish, IMO, would be to appreciate them for all their natural beauty and behavior…at least that is why I buy fish. To focus on one aspect as the reason to own such a fish is immature and short-sighted. To further tape it as a spectacle because it’s ‘cool’ seems juvenile and disturbing to me.

I had a friend when I was in grade school who owned piranhas. Feeding time was not the high-light of these fish for these people, it was a necessary part of the responsibilities of owning a predatory animal.
Like Alestro said
Alestro Bakai said:
Now, I do agree, that the people who filmed this don't seem mature, but it's not because they're feeding a goldfish (of any size) to their piranhas.

atc_ben

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Ormond Beach, FL
svtcontour said:
Ok you're missing the point here. Its OK if the piranha is eating the animal - what ever it may be, but when someone is actually enjoying the shredding of the animal during the feeding, then there is something wrong. ENJOYING is the key word.
So what your saying is that people who own piranhas shouldn't enjoy watching them eat, unless the food is bite size? Is it ok with you if piranha owners still enjoy watching them swim around the tank while they pursue their bite size food?

I think you're missing the point. A small fish gets eaten by a larger carnivorous fish, who then uses it for energy, period. Just because there is a video camera taping it, doesn't change that fact. Just because the piranhas have to take bites out of the goldfish doesn't change that fact.

It's not like dog fighting at all, btw. No one is putting the goldfish in the piranha tank so they can duke it out with each other and place bets on the winner. One fish is a predator, and one is clearly the prey. Dog fighting is usually between two physically equal animals. We all own fish because we like watching them. If I owned piranhas, I would enjoy watching all aspects of their behavior including their natural tendency to eat other fish. Would I videotape it and add cheesy music? No. But I'm not going to compare someone who does to someone who killed 15 people either. Talk about assinine...

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
atc_ben said:
A small fish gets eaten by a larger carnivorous fish, who then uses it for energy, period.
Thats what's wrong with this case. It isn't small fish gets eaten by larger fish. That goldie is almost the same size as the pirahna. Personally, I dont mind watching carnivores eat, but why make something suffer like that when there are TONS of other options? It's the suffering that bothers me.

phoenixfyre

AC Members
Jun 19, 2006
atc_ben said:
It's not like dog fighting at all, btw. No one is putting the goldfish in the piranha tank so they can duke it out with each other and place bets on the winner. One fish is a predator, and one is clearly the prey. Dog fighting is usually between two physically equal animals. ...

Not true. Many times stray/pet dogs are thrown into the pit with competent fighting dogs to see them get torn apart. Lots of rescues have to deal with this.

I abhor the fact that anyone would post this up as entertainment and worse that others enjoy it. It's not nature, it's called bloodlust. In nature, when animals kill, there is not a cheering audience.

BTW, there's only one "s" in asinine. There are 2 in another word that's close and surprisingly not its root...

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Personally, I found the second vidio to be not that bad. The goldie was dead and consumed in a mater of seconds. From a scientific standpoint, it was interesting. The first video was, as most people said, simply cruel. The fish didnt even get eaten really, just picked on and tortured. However, while watching, I did note how the pirhanas responded more to the goldie while it's movements were irratic, and less when it remainded still. This observation could have been made with a fish of edible size however, so the scientific aspect of it was out for me. My biggest problem with the whole thing is that goldfish are quite low in nutritional value. Those people should relly be feeding something a bit more healthy.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
You shouldnt enjoy watching a living creature die. You may enjoy the piranha and keeping it but out of respect for the animal feeding your piranha, try not to get happier the worse the animal suffers.

So many times I've seen someone throw a goldfish in a tank with piranha and the fish was gone in two bites instead of tearing it and torturing. The response is nearly always "Ah man that sucked..." and then throw another. This is watching an animal die for the sake of watching destruction - the worse the animal gets torn up the better (to them). This is a sign of immaturity and in general a lack of moral fiber. People video taping it for its "entertainment" value and not for its feeding should not own pets.

Also YOU as a pet owner have the choice of deciding how much the 'food' will end up suffering. If you take a big goldfish thats 8" long and throw it with a 1/2 dozen small piranha , you will cause the goldfish to stay alive longer while getting eaten which means you on purpose want to see an animal suffer. A big or little goldfish would be the same in terms of nutritional value so if all you care about is feeding your pet, then why not get the smaller one - quick and painless death.

Face it - you just want to watch something get torn up. YOu can sit here and say otherwise but actions speak louder than words my friend.

atc_ben said:
So what your saying is that people who own piranhas shouldn't enjoy watching them eat, unless the food is bite size? ...

atc_ben

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Ormond Beach, FL
jodimartin2003 said:
Thats what's wrong with this case. It isn't small fish gets eaten by larger fish. That goldie is almost the same size as the pirahna. Personally, I dont mind watching carnivores eat, but why make something suffer like that when there are TONS of other options? It's the suffering that bothers me.
This is worse than having a conversation with a mailbox. The fish was eaten. It didn't suffer anymore than any other fish that's been eaten by a piranha in the history of this planet. If a fish is swallowed whole, do you think it dies a peaceful death instantaneously? I've seen a school of piranhas pick an entire deer clean to the bone in the wild while the deer was still gasping for air. A deer is how many times the size of a single piranha? It doesn't matter because they feed in schools. That's how they eat in wild and that's how they're gonna eat in a fishtank. I'm sorry if you can't accept that. This is no worse than feeding mice to captive snakes.

phoenixfyre said:
Not true. Many times stray/pet dogs are thrown into the pit with competent fighting dogs to see them get torn apart. Lots of rescues have to deal with this.
I didn't realize this. That's sick. It's still not like dog fighting though. Sorry.

phoenixfyre said:
I abhor the fact that anyone would post this up as entertainment and worse that others enjoy it. It's not nature, it's called bloodlust. In nature, when animals kill, there is not a cheering audience.
What difference does it make if this was taped for others to see or not. A carnivorous animal had a meal in someones fishtank. Oooo, that's puuuuure evil! Whatever you feed a meat eating animal, another animal will likely have to be killed. Please stop whining about it already.

phoenixfyre said:
BTW, there's only one "s" in asinine. There are 2 in another word that's close and surprisingly not its root...
Thanks for pointing that out, spelling nazi. I assume you're gonna go through the rest of the forum and point out everyone else's typos too. And actually if you want to split hairs, the root of the word is Latin asininus "of an a*s". Since it means "of or relating to an a*s," I only ASSumed it had two S's. Please forgive my typo and let my family live.

Good day to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store