Pir's Carnivores (Pic Heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That's exactly the type of shelf I have used throughout. I couldn't find the dimensions of yours, but I started with one that was about 2.5' tall. The one I have now is about 5 feet tall. Just remember to plan for more space than you think you'll need initially... if they do well, they'll get bigger, and you're likely to buy more. =)

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Another Question: Is it about time for VFT dormancy?

I was planning on trimming them down to about 1cm above the bulb, and then putting them in a zip-lock container with some damp peat, and leaving that sealed in the garage until Spring.

This Spring, I intend to throw together a minibog, but I'd like it to be portable so that I can take it to the summer camp that I work at. The Cub Scouts would really like that. Perhaps I can create a few new CP disciples :grinyes:

So my plan for the rack is as follows:

Bottom Tier: Surround bottom and 4 sides w/ glass or acrylic, and have partially open ceiling. For lowland neps and other tropicals. Might just stick a fish tank down there. Lava rock along bottom, fill (and drain?) water as needed. I will probably have heating wire along bottom.

2nd Tier: Sheet Plastic rolled up and down on sides to encourage or restrict airflow as needed. Shallow tray, easily filled with water to sit pots in. For HL's and hopefully cephs, etc. May have a small fan for airflow if needed.

3rd Tier: Lighting fixture, clamp lamps, fans, other hardware etc. I might keep this in a window and grow something on the top. We will see.
yeah... it's getting to be about that time. I was just thinking that I need to get my sars in the fridge.

Sounds like an interesting plan for the rack. I don't know much about LL neps, but I think in most places a terrarium is the way to go. Just remember that if they do well, they will grow quick so think about space appropriately. Remember too that Neps don't really like to sit in much water as they're prone to root rot.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
That's exactly the type of shelf I have used throughout. I couldn't find the dimensions of yours, but I started with one that was about 2.5' tall. The one I have now is about 5 feet tall. Just remember to plan for more space than you think you'll need initially... if they do well, they'll get bigger, and you're likely to buy more. =)
Both seem pretty likely. ;) Yeah, I will definitely make sure to get one that is stackable. I could even go with those cube shelves that are kind of like LEGOs for people trying to get organized. I'll have to hit the Target (pun intended) and see what they have. Maybe even venture a trip to Wally World.
Sounds like an interesting plan for the rack. I don't know much about LL neps, but I think in most places a terrarium is the way to go. Just remember that if they do well, they will grow quick so think about space appropriately. Remember too that Neps don't really like to sit in much water as they're prone to root rot.
Yeah, I intend to set up sort of a terrarium on the bottom, with a lot of humidity coming from that, and then have the highlands above the lowlands so they get some humidity. With the bottom water, I intended to fill it up to about an inch below the neps, just for humidity. I'll try and work a heater and air pump in there too to really get the humidity going.

I've read up somewhat on LLs, I think I'll let them grow big and then either set up something just for them or trim them down and root the cuttings and get a little system going there. I really love my ampullaria, I'm glad I made the mistake of buying it ;) I do envision the ampullaria that I own growing big enough to shoot a vine to the top and produce some rare amp. upper pitchers. Guess I can dream..

The amp is working on a new pitcher, which I'm quite excited for. The alata doesn't seem to be faring as well. The leaves above the peristomes on all the pitchers have died off, which is a bit scary, and the pitchers are all looking pretty worse-for-wear. The actual plant part seems OK, though. It may just be going through a cycle or isn't quite as satisfied with its location. Once I get the shelf system going, I predict it will cheer up.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Pretty easy.
Excellent. *rubs hands together Burns-style*
Some cool looking plants!
Thanks! It's an awesome hobby to get into!

Picture Updates!!!

Today, I split up the ventricosa into the 2 main plants. With the VFT's gone, the terrarium was pretty boring, so I stuck the extra cuttings in there. Hopefully a few will take root.
DSC_1898.jpg
DSC_1897.jpg

Here's the one spatulata about to flower, and coincidentally the hitch-hiker utric flowered too! :thumbsup:
DSC_1873.jpg

The other soon-to-flower spatulata.
DSC_1881.jpg

Better view of the utric flower.
DSC_1889.jpg

Here is my favorite-so-far plant, my N. ampullaria.
DSC_1876.jpg

The new pitcher it's working on.
DSC_1877.jpg

Another spatulata.
DSC_1882.jpg

Can you guys identify this plant? To me, it looks a lot like English Ivy. That scares me a little, as I am my grandmother's official English Ivy trimmer and that stuff grows like crazy. I'll keep an eye on it.
DSC_1887.jpg
DSC_1885.jpg

And a FTS of the terrarium. Hopefully a few of the ventricosa cuttings will take root and I can transfer them to a pot outside of the terrarium. I figured that the warmer, humid environment in there would be optimal for cuttings.
DSC_1901.jpg

Hope you all were pleased by the pictures! :naughty:

I plan on adding some new stock soon. Considering D. scorpioides, maybe a Ceph, and an N. bicalcarata!
Working on plans for a rack system as well.

DSC_1873.jpg DSC_1876.jpg DSC_1877.jpg DSC_1879.jpg DSC_1881.jpg DSC_1882.jpg DSC_1885.jpg DSC_1887.jpg DSC_1889.jpg DSC_1897.jpg DSC_1898.jpg DSC_1901.jpg

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
I don't know how to get rid of the extra attached thumbnail. If you're wondering, it's the soon-to-flower spatulata without the utric buddy.

Another "if you're wondering": I take my pictures on a Nikon D5100 (those you-know-what's are already about to release a D3200, man it's hard to keep up with technology) with a 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'd read up on pygmies though before buying...there are quite a few that are pretty hardy and easy to take care of (at least IME) but they do have slightly different requirements than the average sub/tropical dew. Most important is the dormancy factor. I originally grew all my pygmies without trying to get dormancy, but I noticed that they tended to weaken and die off after a couple of years anyways. Last year was the first time I got gemmae, and it really helps to replenish your collection, in a sense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store