Pir's Carnivores (Pic Heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
There are tons of build threads out there for mini bogs, including Sub's more recent on here on AC. I don't know much about in-ground bogs, but I'm sure there's stuff out there. The biggest thing is to make sure you can properly insulate for winter, if necessary for your area and get them the right amount of water with proper drainage.

Regarding collection, the only wild Drosera I've seen were on protected land...so no. ;)

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Happy New Year, everyone!
Some updates.
Newest N. ampullaria pitcher. Looks like twice the size of the other ones!
DSC_3093-1.jpg
My D. capensis, got it a few months ago along with some sphagnum.
DSC_3098-2.jpg
DSC_3099-3.jpg
N. 'ventrata' cuttings making some progress.
DSC_3108-4.jpg

DSC_3093-1.jpg DSC_3098-2.jpg DSC_3099-3.jpg DSC_3108-4.jpg

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Also:

I'm working out the logistics on a grow rack. I think I'm going to pretty much redo my terrarium (maybe replace it with my empty 20 long) with a simpler, "cleaner" looking one and then put that terrarium on the rack so I don't take too much space up. I may or may not have it in a windowsill, but there will definitely be artificial lighting involved.

Once I get everything pretty organized, I think I'm going to get a Cephalotus or two along with some new Sundews and Nepenthes. This Spring I will be setting something up outdoors for VFTs and Sarracenia.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Regarding collecting plants. Look into the specifics of your state law. Here in PA , if a STATE protected plant species is on private land, the owner of the land can do pretty much whatever he/she wants with said plants, other than selling or exporting them from the Commonwealth. I have a few PA endangered and even extirpated species on my property that were given to me by someone on whose property they were growing. Given what I know about the legal climate in MD doubt you'll be that lucky, but it's worth a look.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Regarding collecting plants. Look into the specifics of your state law. Here in PA , if a STATE protected plant species is on private land, the owner of the land can do pretty much whatever he/she wants with said plants, other than selling or exporting them from the Commonwealth. I have a few PA endangered and even extirpated species on my property that were given to me by someone on whose property they were growing. Given what I know about the legal climate in MD doubt you'll be that lucky, but it's worth a look.
I don't know if 'climate' is the word I would use but I understand perfectly ;)

The nursery I get my plants from has a whole program where they grow Md. native plants, and theri prices are usually very reasonable so I think I would rather just purchase from him. It's a win-win-win situation (native population is unaffected, I get plants with little to no trouble, and he gets paid).

Took some more pictures, let me know what you guys think.

Here is the larger half of the original alata plant. I'll probably cut back the big vine soon; it's not really productive.
DSC_3109-1.jpg

And the smaller half:
DSC_3111-2.jpg
A plantlet coming off of the big one working on a little pitcher. How cute :)
DSC_3113-3.jpg
Little bit closer of a view:
DSC_3126-9.jpg
The older plant is producing a few mini-vines. I'm really excited to see how it works out.
DSC_3127-10.jpg

Kind of cool little thing I did. I used the top and bottom of a bottle and a PetFart betta container to makes two mini terrariums with sphagnum and a Drosera.
DSC_3115-4.jpg
DSC_3119-5.jpg
DSC_3121-6.jpg

My sphagnum tub. This usually has a lid, but I took it off for photography purposes.
DSC_3123-7.jpg

A little plant that was growing in the sphagnum. I stuck it back in. Does anyone have an IDea of what this is? (Giggle giggle, ID and idea combined :grinno: )
DSC_3125-8.jpg

And last but not least, a FTS of the terrarium. I stuck a few stalks from the capensis in the sphagnum where the one Nep cutting is, hopefully they'll take root or produce some mini plantlets. I also collected some seed from the spatulata flowers; I'll try and germinate them in a month or two.
DSC_3134-11.jpg

DSC_3109-1.jpg DSC_3111-2.jpg DSC_3113-3.jpg DSC_3115-4.jpg DSC_3119-5.jpg DSC_3121-6.jpg DSC_3123-7.jpg DSC_3125-8.jpg DSC_3126-9.jpg DSC_3127-10.jpg DSC_3134-11.jpg

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Look into Meadowview Biological Research Station in VA. I saw that Phil had D. capillaris when I was down there this past summer, along with an amazing assortment of wetland plants native to VA, and I sure MD as well. It was worth the drive from PA just for the tour of the property I got.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Yeah, I hope to take a trip down there sooner or later. Tours really are worth a lot. When I bought my plants, I took a tour of this guy's nursery: basically a greenhouse, several-tiered garden, and 10 or so minibogs in his back yard. It was really cool. I really hope that when I'm "all grown up" and in a stable housing situation that I can have something like that going on.

The other day I was browsing a site selling CP seeds and a few tissue-culture plants from the Czech Republic and saw that they were looking for someone to translate for them in exchange for some seeds. Without trying to toot my own horn, I'm pretty good at German, so I emailed him about it. Can't wait until he gets back; it seems like a really cool opportunity.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Everything looks great, dude! Well done!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
So where do you guys like to shop for CPs?

At the moment I'm specifically looking for Cephs and Nepenthes. I almost bought a Ceph on eBay but it was kind of a sketchy seller and the price (9.99) seemed a little too good to be true.

Another eBay sell I might spring for is this:
$(KGrHqNHJCsE9!,,im!UBPdL7SERQQ~~60_57.JPG

It's listed as N. Lantern alata or N. 'Rebecca Soper'.

I think it's really cool, and it's only $5.

$(KGrHqNHJCsE9!,,im!UBPdL7SERQQ~~60_57.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store