Planning a 72g bowfront....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I've got a single reef sun 50/50 bulb (24 or 25 watts, can't remember now) and my ferns are doing fine aside from mbuna trying them out every once in a while. Your tank is 22" high, mine is 21" so I'd say you should be more than fine with a 55watt kit (might even get more algae that way).

P.S. UGJ's are great, especially for an overstocked african tank, you'd still need to do gravel vacs, but they don't have to be as often.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Fantastic! I will just get an extra HOB and everything should be great now. Thanks so much! Yet another project to add to the list (UGJ)! :) I am still looking at fish but I will come back and ask for a final OK before purchasing anything.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
no worries aye me i use UGF in all of my tanks, i dont have one in my 120gal but i wish i did, they are just a personnel choice its about 50/50 on the issue of bad crap vs good crap as for me they are great for you or someone else may be a bad thing who knows aye but do what is good for you as for my africans and plants go i have java fern flame moss from thai anubias nanna some green crptocoryne and a couple of amazons in my shellie 55gal UGF with 2 hangon the back marineland emperor bio wheel filters tons of shells with creek rock strategic placed i have no worries aye but this works for me i have low light plants and i have low light i replace bulbs on regular basis all is good..

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Don't know I missed your thread - work = a bit mental.

All sounds great - really good stock list, I also agree with Ib3aks suggestions there.

As regards bottom dwellers I would reccomend you have a look at synodontis multipunctatus - say 4 of them. These are a really nice looking catfish, don't get huge, well able to handle malawis (they are tangs), and are quite social and interactive. A group of 4 should be pretty active in your tank.

As regards plants :

Java Fern - grow it on your rockwork
Onion Plant (Crinium) - stick it in your substrate - say maybe 2 or 3 of these attractively placed in your tank will be really nice.
Vallis works too but you need plenty of it or it gets ate to quick to recover.
Anubias should be ok too - I havn't tried it but I'm about to.

I got Java Moss growing nicely but have pulled it out - they nibble on it and it comes lose and ends up in the filter - pain in the butt.

None of those plants need anything special, at least not in my tank, by way of lighting/ferts to keep them going nicely.

Rock & Substrate plan looks great - a black background I presume ?

This will be a heck of a tank - looking forward to seeing you get going.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ahhh there he is! :) Thanks for stopping by Coler. I can't imagine how you keep up with this whole forum!

After looking at a bunch of fish I am pretty sure I will stick with my original stock list with the exception of Fuellehorni substituted for trewavasae. I may change the colors a little bit though depending on what my LFS has, keeping in mind to not get too similar colored of fish.

Good suggestion on the catfish but I didn't care for the idea of the multi eating my fishes eggs and replacing them with their own. Although this is a very cool event! Just not what I am looking for. :) I am going to go with one of the Syno species just not sure which one yet, once again I guess it depends on what I can find.

I might do some onion plants too. I want to keep it very lightly planted just enough to help with nitrates & give it a more natural look.

Yes a black background. I went to some rock yards & nurseries yesterday and saw Swiss Sparkle. It was black with sparkles in it, some sort of slate I believe so once again things might alter depending on what I can find. :) My LFS wants $3 per lb for lace rock! That is why I am trying to find it elsewhere. I was also interested in the feather rock but it looked kinda sharp.

As soon as the stand is finished I might start setting the tank up for cycling so it may not be as far off as I thought it was going to be!

Thanks a lot everyone! I have learned a lot since my original post about getting Mbuna in my 36g BF! (Bad idea in case anyone was wondering)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
So it is getting closer to purchasing time and I have some revisions to my list but with questions, of course!

[FONT=&quot]Stock (definitely want!)[/FONT] (changes/updates in red)
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Lab. caeruleus (lion's cove/yellow)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:4 I. sprengerae (Rusty)[/FONT] (would like to do all male, see question #1)
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Ps. socolofi (albino)[/FONT] Pandini instead
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Ps. Acei (yellow tailed)[/FONT] (would like to have a couple white tailed, see question #2)
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Met. estherae ( Blue or OB)[/FONT] (possibly replacing with met. greshakei, see question #3)
1:3 L. fuellebornis (replacing, see question #4)
1-2 Featherfin Syno cats (Syno. eupterus) -OR-
4 Synodontis multipunctatus

[FONT=&quot]Substrate - Black 3m Colorquartz S-grade[/FONT] (having trouble getting it clean but it is coming along)

[FONT=&quot]Lighting - 2 - 55watt AHsupply kits with 50/50 bulbs, Red sunrise & blue moonlight[/FONT][FONT=&quot] cold cathode lighting[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Filtration - Eheim 2213, Eheim 2013, an Emperor 400[/FONT] & UGJ (2 maxi-jet 1200s)

[FONT=&quot]Decor - LOTS of Lace Rock[/FONT] (35lbs so far, shooting for 85lbs to start)

[FONT=&quot]Out of tap Ph – 8.2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Out of tap Kh – 12 dKh[/FONT]

So here are my questions....

1. Since the Rustys are fairly peaceful could I do 3 or 4 males instead of 1:4? I ask because the females are just kinda grey & I would only be able to have 1 with the colors I really like.

2. Is there any problem with mixing color variations of the same species? I would like some yellow tail & white tail Acei.

3. I saw Met. Greshakei (albino) at bluegrass aquatics and really love it but no other photos look like that one. (Here is the link to the one I like) Is that not a typical color for these fish? Are the females ALL white?

4. I really want a patterned dark blue species too, prefer irregular patterns. Examples - Male Johanni, male Met. Mosobo "deep" OR like Demasoni OR Kenyi (flipped male/female coloring). I want it to be monomorphic OR the female has the blue coloring to get the most out of it. Any compatible suggestions?

Lastly, I am going to probably purchase all my fish at a local fish show at the end of October, my first show. Can I add all the juvies at once? (with a properly cycled tank of course) Can someone recommend a good book to bring with me for IDing Mbunas? Any tips for a first timer would be appreciated!

If anyone is interested the tank itself is pretty much finished, the link is my my signature.

Last edited:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
OK so here I am in Martha's Vineyard (en route to NYC) and I miss my AC/Cichlid/Malawi fix...especially as I don't want to think about mine for worry :D

Yippee - an African Question :headbang2:

So it is getting closer to purchasing time and I have some revisions to my list but with questions, of course!

[FONT=&quot]Stock (definitely want!)[/FONT] (changes/updates in red)
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Lab. caeruleus (lion's cove/yellow) Saweet :D[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1:4 I. sprengerae (Rusty)[/FONT] (would like to do all male, see question #1) All male requires 1 specimen each species, try to avoid similar colouration. I don't know how this would work out for you - not saying don't but...

[FONT=&quot]1:4 Ps. socolofi (albino)[/FONT] Pandini instead Nope Pandini not compatible with Mbuna
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Ps. Acei (yellow tailed)[/FONT] (would like to have a couple white tailed, see question #2) no prob with that
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Met. estherae ( Blue or OB)[/FONT] (possibly replacing with met. greshakei, see question #3)

1:3 L. fuellebornis (replacing, see question #4)

1-2 Featherfin Syno cats (Syno. eupterus) -OR-
4 Synodontis multipunctatus

Both nice cats - I can't remember where but someone said to me once stock either 3 or 5 multipunctatus. I can't see why that is as they are pair forming from memory. I think the more important thing is not to have only 2 as one will bully the other.

[FONT=&quot]Substrate - Black 3m Colorquartz S-grade[/FONT] (having trouble getting it clean but it is coming along)

[FONT=&quot]Lighting - 2 - 55watt AHsupply kits with 50/50 bulbs, Red sunrise & blue moonlight[/FONT][FONT=&quot] cold cathode lighting[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Filtration - Eheim 2213, Eheim 2013, an Emperor 400[/FONT] & UGJ (2 maxi-jet 1200s)

[FONT=&quot]Decor - LOTS of Lace Rock[/FONT] (35lbs so far, shooting for 85lbs to start)

[FONT=&quot]Out of tap Ph – 8.2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Out of tap Kh – 12 dKh[/FONT]
Substrate, Filtration all good - and tank is looking great

So here are my questions....
1. Since the Rustys are fairly peaceful could I do 3 or 4 males instead of 1:4? I ask because the females are just kinda grey & I would only be able to have 1 with the colors I really like.
I really would not, although they are about as mild as mbuna get, they are capable of decent level of aggression. That said, I'm going on general principles here, and not from experience.

2. Is there any problem with mixing color variations of the same species? I would like some yellow tail & white tail Acei.
There is none at all, subject as always to the personality of the individual fish. Go for it unless you are particularly worried about hybrid colouration (in fact I don't know what yellow fin plus white fin acei would produce - I suspect you would get either one or the other as opposed to hybrid colours).

3. I saw Met. Greshakei (albino) at bluegrass aquatics and really love it but no other photos look like that one. (Here is the link to the one I like) Is that not a typical color for these fish? Are the females ALL white?
I can't find any that look like that either. If you want all white albinos do Pseudotropheus Socolofi - beautiful 'pearly blue' glow is the best way I can describe them. I prefer them to greshakei, but personal choice there.

4. I really want a patterned dark blue species too, prefer irregular patterns. Examples - Male Johanni, male Met. Mosobo "deep" OR like Demasoni OR Kenyi (flipped male/female coloring). I want it to be monomorphic OR the female has the blue coloring to get the most out of it. Any compatible suggestions?
Cynotilapia Afra are dimorphic but some species have blue females, but less vivid than male afras. Nice fish though.

Why not just have the johanni. The females become more 'male' looking as they mature.

Lastly, I am going to probably purchase all my fish at a local fish show at the end of October, my first show. Can I add all the juvies at once? (with a properly cycled tank of course) Can someone recommend a good book to bring with me for IDing Mbunas? Any tips for a first timer would be appreciated!
Yep you can add all of 'em at once - best way to do it in fact, with your fully cycled tank.

Hmmm...Yep I know the book for you - Cichlids The Pictorial Guide" by Pablo & Ian Tepoot and it is stunning. I have volumes 1 and 2 which I believe has marvellous pics of all the fish you mention. I think volumes 3 and 4 focus even more primarily on rift lake.

If anyone is interested the tank itself is pretty much finished, the link is my my signature.
Looks great :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This is going to be a long post!! :) I will cut out some stuff.

OK so here I am in Martha's Vineyard (en route to NYC) and I miss my AC/Cichlid/Malawi fix...especially as I don't want to think about mine for worry :D Welcome to the US! I'd prefer to be in Ireland myself but that is probably just cause I am here and not there. :)

Yippee - an African Question :headbang2:Yippee an African Answer!!

[FONT=&quot]1:4 I. sprengerae (Rusty)[/FONT] (would like to do all male, see question #1) All male requires 1 specimen each species, try to avoid similar colouration. I don't know how this would work out for you - not saying don't but... I figured you'd say that but doesn't hurt to ask!

[FONT=&quot]1:4 Ps. socolofi (albino)[/FONT] Pandini instead Nope Pandini not compatible with Mbuna I may have added some confusion here. I just meant that I might go with the "normal" color form of the socolofi, but after your reply I am probably going back to albino anyways. :)

Quote: Originally Posted by myswtsins

There is none at all, subject as always to the personality of the individual fish. Go for it unless you are particularly worried about hybrid colouration (in fact I don't know what yellow fin plus white fin acei would produce - I suspect you would get either one or the other as opposed to hybrid colours). Hybridization was my main concern but my logic tells me that colors would not hybridize (is that a word?). One color would be recessive while the other dominates but that is just my VERY poor memory from middle school science. :) BTW wanting the white tailed acei is all because of your beautiful specimen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myswtsins

I can't find any that look like that either. If you want all white albinos do Pseudotropheus Socolofi - beautiful 'pearly blue' glow is the best way I can describe them. I prefer them to greshakei, but personal choice there. I love the albino socolofi too but thought that nice red mixed in was quite nice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myswtsins

Cynotilapia Afra are dimorphic but some species have blue females, but less vivid than male afras. Nice fish though.
Why not just have the johanni. The females become more 'male' looking as they mature.
I did not want to go with the johanni due to it's aggression & orange females (I've never heard of a blue female). The Male Johanni & male Mosobo are probably my favorite Mbuna so far.

(Tank) Looks great :) Thanks!
So lets talk about single species in the tank some more. In a tank with several "breeding" groups could I add just one specimen of a totally different species? Like having just 1 male rusty mixed in with everyone else?

Updated tentative stock list...
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Lab. caeruleus (lion's cove/yellow) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:4 I. sprengerae (Rusty)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Ps. socolofi (albino)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Ps. Acei (yellow tailed & white tailed)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:4 Met. estherae (OB or cherry red)[/FONT]
1:4 Blue patterned Mbuna! If I can't find what I really want I will probably get Johannis
1-2 Featherfin Syno cat -OR-
3 Syno Multi

Seems like a lot but I actually replaced the group of 7" fish with (most likely) smaller fish (pending blue fish).

Thanks so much for everything!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have been looking at Cichlids The Pictorial Guide & was wondering what kind of info is included? Like habitat, size, diet, aggression level etc. It is not in stock at any of my local stores or I would just go look for myself. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store