Play sand, CaribSea, or pool filter sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I use sifted play sand. It has the most natural look.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
As stated already I've never seen play sand or PFS in black. Also I've personally never used PFS. I can only find it locally in a brighter white color that I'm not really a fan of. I use play sand that I get from Home Depot, it has what in my opinion is a natural tannish color to it. Yes it requires some rinsing as does just about any substrate. I don't feel like it's an extreme amount of rinsing though. And I've also noticed losing some quantity to the rinsing but again nothing extreme. So my vote, play sand.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
If Cories are some of your main inhabitants I'd go with Pool Filter Sand. It'll be softer on their barbels since its very fine. I'm making this same switch soon too.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
You want to avoid any white sand. This is completely un-natural; no tropical freshwater fish live over white substrates, it would stress them. This is another reason I choose play sand. And my corys, some 40+ of wild caught fish, are very happy.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You want to avoid any white sand. This is completely un-natural; no tropical freshwater fish live over white substrates, it would stress them. This is another reason I choose play sand. And my corys, some 40+ of wild caught fish, are very happy.
Some SA rivers and creeks have white sand. See Bleher's Discus Vol. 1

Mark

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Some SA rivers and creeks have white sand. See Bleher's Discus Vol. 1

Mark
I would seriously question if any sand is actually white, as is the white pool filter sand. Photos with differing lighting can not always be taken as accurately dcepicting colour. The sands in most of the Amazon basin is pretty close to the Quikrete Play Sand, a mix of black/tan/brown/white. Given the source of the sands in the basin, white would seem impossible.

The other thing that must be remembered is that fish do not normally live in open water in sunlight. The forest canopy prevents direct sunlight from reaching the watercourses--there are obviously exceptions, portions of the Rio Guapore for instance--but not surprisingly fish do not inhabit these open areas as they are too exposed. The dorsal colour on all fish is dark, so that when viewed from above by a predator they will blend into the substrate which obviously cannot be white for this strategy to be successful.

Then there is the fact that most streams and creeks are so littered with sunken branches, roots and leaves that the actual substrate is never seen. In many cases it is mud. The basic tan colouration on so many species of Corydoras means the fish if motionless canot be seen from above. The black dorsio-lateral stripe is there to blend in with the branches on the sand. Even the orange post-orbital fleck on spcies like Corydoras adolphoi, C. duplicareus, etc, suggests leaves when one view the fish in the stream. Since changing over to play sand I have been aware how well these species, including C. panda, C. metae, and the spotted ones blend in. I am not sure I would have found this believable had I not witnessed it directly.

Byron.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Id suggest pool filter sand. I havent seen it in black though, sorry. Caribsea has a nice black sand. I felt like the poo stuck out more with bpack sand though. Natural colored sand ( brownish colors) help hide the the poo but you can still see it.

Black sand is really good for lighter/ brighter colored fish/ inverts. For example: a RCS tank with black sand will make the red more vibrant.

It all depends on what you want.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
I've used pool filter sand. I found it amazing and simple. Not a lot of wash needed and my yoyos really liked it. A tip for cheaper sand... go to a pool store or hot tub store and ask them if they have any broken open bags that they are unable to sell to customers. I got about 40 pounds from one bag for 10 bucks.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Sorry, Byron, I have to disagree.
While white sand may seem unnatural to you, that's just your opinion.

Many hobbyists consider it quite natural-looking, and it certainly does NOT stress fish.
I've used white PFS in my discus tanks, and other tanks, for many years, and it's an excellent substrate for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it heightens and brightens many fish's coloration.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Anubias

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store