Playing music to fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Mine do not care for music, however, if you put up a Dean Koontz book......

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I have a piano right next to my goldfish tank, and I've noticed the fish react differently when I play different music.

So far, they don't like jazz, appreciate slower classical music, and go mad when I play Rachmaninoff.

mooosic

AC Members
Aug 16, 2006
Knoxville, TN
I dont meen to burst your bubble. But about the ipod, there is now way they can feel the vibrations from earbuds through the tank glass. I have a 12" in my room and thats almost not enough for the fish too even slightly feel, and my room is 14' by 9'. Now the piano right next to the tanks.....that i could most diffenatly see.

ChrisWalker

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
England.
According to Wikipedia, Goldfish in particular have extremely good hearing and can recognise different people's voices. Whether this is a similar story for all fish I don't know.

I have my computer quite near my fish tank, and play my electric guitar near it. The tropical fish don't react really...

My goldfish however respond to me calling them from outside the room lol.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
A Good Science Fair Project

This would be a great experiment for a class or science fair project.
Do certain tones and what levels of frequency do certain species of fish react to? What attracts them? What repels them?
We know that Whales & Dolphins react to them and even use them to communicate, but they are mammals.
On the other hand it's probably been done.
Never mind.

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
This would be a great experiment for a class or science fair project.
Do certain tones and what levels of frequency do certain species of fish react to? What attracts them? What repels them?
We know that Whales & Dolphins react to them and even use them to communicate, but they are mammals.
On the other hand it's probably been done.
Never mind.
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish in science experiments are often puu under the wrong conditions, uncycled tanks, etc.

I would please ask everyone reading the above not to get any ideas......

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
None of my tropical fish react to my voice other than my 2 puffers I keep at work.

Oh, and btw, Rachmaninoff isn't as hard as everyone puts it up to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store