Playing music to fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I have a piano right next to my goldfish tank, and I've noticed the fish react differently when I play different music.

So far, they don't like jazz, appreciate slower classical music, and go mad when I play Rachmaninoff.
yup I find mine are not crazy about jazz, like some classical and go mad when I play '80's power ballads. I'm pretty sure that some of that is because I sing along to those though.

poor fish. All the gravel vaccing in the world can't help that.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
you're probably right about that. Never mind. Bad idea.

Last edited:

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Why? I believe this is a really good thread.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish in science experiments are often puu under the wrong conditions, uncycled tanks, etc.

I would please ask everyone reading the above not to get any ideas......
I think the thread is great too. I guess I just give too much credit to the folks who read, learn, and take the time to respond to these threads. Of course they would test fishies in the 'wrong conditions'.
I always play my stereo very loud, but not too loud, (being consience of harmful decibel levels) near a completely 'cycled tank'. LOL

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'd like to see...

I dont meen to burst your bubble. But about the ipod, there is now way they can feel the vibrations from earbuds through the tank glass. I have a 12" in my room and thats almost not enough for the fish too even slightly feel, and my room is 14' by 9'. Now the piano right next to the tanks.....that i could most diffenatly see.
If somebody WERE to trial this in a tank without the deplorable conditions seen at science-fair experiments I'd be interested in seeing if the fish were just looking at the foreign objects pressed up to the glass or could actually 'hear' the music despite the thickness. I occasionally sing when I'm near the tank and I haven't noticed them react to it. I also want to play some smooth jazz or ambient music in the breeding tanks, maybe that would help my success :p:

jonnyfry

safety first!
Mar 20, 2007
macon , ga
i dont know about playing music to my fish but certainly talk to them .

......oh now , dont look at me like that , i know you do too .

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
I talk to my fish when I try to "play" with them with my finger through the glass. Guess it does more for me than the fish. I'm sure they can feel sound vibrations, it just makes sense to me.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store