Pleco died :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
My black pleco died. It was in a 10g with a cichlid, and there's NO evidence he was killed/attacked. All my nitrates, ammonia, and ph's are fine (have testers). The fish don't seem to gasp for air, so there's enough oxygen. Water's relatively clear, a little algae forming 5 weeks into the cycle (less algae since turning the light off most of the time). I use stress coat and a little aquarium salts during my 50% weekly water changes (will cut that down to every 2 weeks now).

Just wondering if this is common, or should I be concerned?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Why were you using salt?

Plecos in general are very hardy, so I would be concerned. Were you providing it will enough food? Very few eat algae exclusively, many need woody debris, and often times aggressive fish will prevent plecos from getting enough to eat. Before replacing it, I would determine if you need one at all, if you'll be able to accomodate the adult size, and if you can meet it's nutrition needs. It's likely that yours starved, or was damaged beyond recovery by the early stages of the cycle.

7Speed

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I have had three die in the last year.
the first one I can understand because I was new to "fish" and well it was expected. The second one well maybe bad luck. But just this morning I lost one after a week. So what am I doing wrong? All my other fish are thriving. All community fish.
I have tested the water and everything is fine. I feed the fish 2x a day (just small amounts)

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by OrionGirl
Why were you using salt?

Plecos in general are very hardy, so I would be concerned. Were you providing it will enough food? Very few eat algae exclusively, many need woody debris, and often times aggressive fish will prevent plecos from getting enough to eat. Before replacing it, I would determine if you need one at all, if you'll be able to accomodate the adult size, and if you can meet it's nutrition needs. It's likely that yours starved, or was damaged beyond recovery by the early stages of the cycle.
My local LFS said the same thing, based on the good health of my tank and existing calvus, it's likely he starved to death (kinda sad, had he spoken engrish I'd have gladly fed him!). Good call BadbreathLady :D

Oh, the salts are for disease prevention, I've not only read it on fishgeeks and here, but both of my local LFS recommended it. I only use a tablespoon per 5g water change.

Last edited:

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Plecos are sensitve to salt and at 1Tbsp/5gals it wold stress them out. Salt shouldn't be used all the time especially at a level like 1Tbsp/5gals(that is a treatment dose, not a constant level it should be at).

Also depending on which pleco you got most are wild caught and come with internal parasites. bristlenose plecos are the best to get for small tanks since they eat algae, are tank bred, and only get 4-6".

I would suspect that the salt along with your tank only being 5 weeks old and still cycling is what might have done him in. But on the other hand maybe he was sick when you bought him.

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by Anaxus

Hehe everytime I see ORIONgirls name I think its oniongirl too =P
Sorry for the hijack
rotf

yeah, I missed that too... it's even funnier now :rolleyes:

:p

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by valerie
Plecos are sensitve to salt and at 1Tbsp/5gals it wold stress them out. Salt shouldn't be used all the time especially at a level like 1Tbsp/5gals(that is a treatment dose, not a constant level it should be at).
Thanks, I'll try a smaller amount.

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Well, bought a $22 black ghosty knife thingie (neat little fish)... had to go out for the afternoon after putting him in, noticed immediately the calvus was ticked off cause the ghost liked the same spot/rocks he did... came back 5 hours later to find a dead ghost knife :(.

Did I mention the Calvus attacked me during a water change 2 weeks ago? Mean fish, and a loner now... not buying any more expensive punching bags for him :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store