Pleco Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
How OLD is the tank??
I've had it for about 2 years now...

Thanks guys!

I got home to find him chilling under an anubias....

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
UPDATE: not belly-up yet (crossing my fingers) I've had the lights off and the tank covered since the tank is in my room and I have my lights on...

One thing I did notice though... I tested my pH in the tank and found that it was at even 7.0 maybe 7.1, around there.... So the previous 7.6 I reported is false. BUT! I tested the water coming out of my tap and its 7.8!!! How could this be??

I'm planning on doing some searching around and maybe starting a new thread about this... You guys have any experience with this?

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Well the Clown Pleco went...:thumbsdown:

Went to the LFS and they replaced him with a common Pleco. I hope I have better luck with this one...

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Well the Clown Pleco went...:thumbsdown:

Went to the LFS and they replaced him with a common Pleco. I hope I have better luck with this one...
Sorry to hear about your clown pleco.

I would have waited a few days at least to make sure every thing else in your tank is fine.

While common plecos tend to be hardier they also get huge and will outgrow your tank.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Sorry to hear about your clown pleco.

I would have waited a few days at least to make sure every thing else in your tank is fine.

While common plecos tend to be hardier they also get huge and will outgrow your tank.
Yeah I realize that. When he does get too big I'll just take him back and get another one... They didn't have anymore clowns...

Thanks

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Make sure you acclimate the fish SLOWLY!!! Back when I was not exactly sure what I was doing, I bought a half dozen cories, dumped some water in with them, put them in the tank and fairly quickly they all died.

Exactly the same symptoms, sitting still, then sudden erratic swimming, spinning around etc, and then dying.

Now I take at least an hour to acclimate any of my fish regardless of where I got them from and have not lost any fish the same way since.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Yeah I acclimate slowly. Putting the bag in the water to get the right temp, for about 20 min. Then I add small amounts of water to the bag in 10-12 min increments until the bag fills. Then I empty 3/4 of the bag out and repeat... Sound right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store