Plywood tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Lowe's does not carry it but they can special order it for you. I have no idea if they can get cell cast acrylic though. As far as putting 2 pieces together, I have no idea but I dont think you would get the same strength as a single 1/2" piece.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Hmm

I was lucky and found a commercial glass door from a building that was being demolished. it was 1/2" plate glass, but was only 32"x 80"

Maybe you can locate a window or something, and have it cut to size.

Cell cast acrylic, or better yet, cleat polycarbonate should be available from your local plastic supplier.
there are several around here, I imagine you should have some local to you as well. they can also help you with options for installing it, or maybe even make you a frame that you can install into the tank, and then install the poly into it.

WickedJester

AC Members
Mar 12, 2010
Knock one of the windows out of one of those many pawn stores... Or how about "Driftwood" cant remember if it has big windows in it or not... LOL

I miss J-actionville sometimes...

2311 worked at the ammo dump..

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
Thanks for the ideas, Ive been very busy of late, doing Marine stuff. I dont recall any windows on the dirtwood, I mean driftwood, LOL. I have found a glass place that can get me 3/8x 8'x 2'. Im gonna try it. Really wish it was thicker but running out of patience, wanna get it done and get the old lady off my butt, HAHA.

Last edited by a moderator:

john73738

AC Members
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the ideas, Ive been very busy of late, doing Marine stuff. I dont recall any windows on the dirtwood, I mean driftwood, LOL. I have found a glass place that can get me 3/8x 8'x 2'. Im gonna try it. Really wish it was thicker but running out of patience, wanna get it done and get the old lady off my butt, HAHA.

Try a LFS.. I got my 3/8" x 8' x x2' front for my ply tank for $120. Holds great, no bowing at all.

Cheapest quote from a glass shop was $200.

johnsreef

Registered Member
Aug 23, 2009
Sunny Jacksonville Fl
epoxys

I would not used the driveway epoxy though I have used simular in the past. Price is a big factor so this is how I do them. First use a single sheet plywood then sand with 60 grit and wipe well with acetone. Then apply a very thin wetting of polyester resin, lay thin cloth over this. (Buy a fiberglass roller its with the money). Next step is after the single layer of cloth is laid, coat with a 2 part marine epoxy you may want to lay one more thin layer of cloth for extra thickness both the poly resin and epoxy can be tinted all this can be found at a boat supply house. I love west system but its far too pricey and there are many many other 2 part resins that meet a simular quality, for much less. Don't use that glue use a real silicone glue the stuff at hd and lowes is not correct. Go to an aquarium retailer online and get a full tube. for less than $20 if you cant find it I can sell it to you. John Jay johnsreefs.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store