Plywood tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
Im gonna use wood putty to fill in the holes and gouges on the outside then sand, and hopefully I can find some high gloss paint.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Are you sure you want to use high gloss, it will show every little nook and cranny or imperfection? Why not a semi gloss or satin? Or are you going to sand it REALLY smooth :) ?

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
If your going for smooth, use bondo and finish it like a car, block, wet, wet block, prime, block, wet, then paint.

I didnt expect Id like the 2x6 around the outside, but Its not bad at all. Id put one on the bottom too, but Im a symmetry nutcase.

Looks good, you should make this a salty tank for sure.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good!

eddiebait

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
Hey USMC2171 that is a real cool build you are in the midst of, that will be quite an impressive aquarium when you are finished. More important is the quality time spent with your son, he will remember this project for the rest of his life. He certainly looks as if he's having fun posing for the photos. Anyhow, keep up the good work and keep posting photos.

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
Thanks eddie, this has been a huge learning and sharing experience for me and my boy. I wil keep the pics coming, waiting for pay day then ordering PC and glass. Until then we are brushing up on our sanding skills. Looked into sump systems and will add one later, got some Marine stuff coming up that takes precidence, unfortunately for the tank.

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
Ive been sanding like a mad man! Been giving some thought on a sump/trickle filter using the plastic storage bin with 5 drawers. I saw a sweet set up where he built an overflow and a box on the outside of the tank connecting it with a 3/4" tube bent into an arch, so even if the power went out it, would stop flowing but not lose his syphon. I would like to try this.

I also have been thinking of getting 2 peacock bass, a few oscars and some kind of catfish that wont get massive but still content with the other fish. The red tail cat is a beautiful fish but gets so massive.
Any suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store