Plywood tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
More pics, I added the the end pieces today and plan on cutting the "WINDOW" later on. I plan on running 2x4's around the bottom and top. I now plan on using 2x6 around the bottom and still 2x4 around the top. Like I said earlier my Aunt the engineer explained to me that pressures are greater at the bottom than at the top, sometimes hearing someone
re-iterate theobvious helps. I think if I use the mat, as xsdbs stated, I will use it in the corners and inside seams, like doing drywall corner beads.

Thanks for your support and knowledge

IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1531.JPG IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1535.JPG IMG_1536.JPG

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
That's my 12 year old helping out with this build He's more stoked aboput this build than I am. Im really enjoying workiing with him and teaching him how to use power tools.

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Looking good, but why the space between the two laminates on the side? You could also build a euro brace for the top, and eliminate the need for the 2x4s on top.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Be careful with Epoxies used for driveways and alike, many will contain mold and mildew inhibitors that wil also kill fish. You live in NC, in Charlotte there is a place that sells Pond Coat. This is liguid rubber that you paint on the inside of the tank to seal it up. Pond Coat is also flexible unlike epoxy. If you twist an epoxy tank and get a hairline crack you have a leak. With Pond Coat, it flexs 850%. Here are some links for you to look at....one is a build using Pond Coat and the other is a link to the dealer in NC. I am headed there tomorrow to pick up 5 gallons for my build. As far as your srews and glue, you will see in the attached thread that it will hold if done right but you will need a top brace. Just sawmore pictures. Make sure you are not using drywall screws. The heads can snapoff under pressure. If you have used them, now would be a good time to replace them with deck screws.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236174
http://usicoatings.com/pondcoat.htm

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
The space is a shadow, if there is a space it is very minute. The laminate is shorter than the wall by 3/4", because it goes to the bottom plywood of the tank, while the wall sits on top of the bottom. Im gonna google euro brace, thanks for the heads up all.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
sorry , a little off topic but you mentioned your son helping, that pretty cool,

I may have to do something like this with my son (he's 8) he loves to build things with me as well as by himself. He's hitting me up for us to build a go kart this spring.

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
Thanks I'll not remove the drywall screws but add deck screws in conjunction, because we went ballistic with gorilla glue and dont want voids, or anything crazy by removing and adding thicker screws, ie. deck screws thanks. I'll check out the links.
Yeah, building this with my son is so cool, unfortunately he got gorilla glue in his hair today and had to get a "JAR HEAD" cut as he calls it, to get it out. He loves hanging out with my Marine buddies, but hates the hair cut. He's all into skateboarding, but Im getting off subject and drinking too many beers. THanks
Mike

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
What about Rhino liner, like for pick up beds? In one of those myth show they blew up a pickup truck with basically an IED (improvised explosive device), and it held the bond to the bed, the rest of the truck was destroyed.
SEMPER FI!
Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store