Polarized glasses...do they work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Mel you always have the best info. I use polarized wrap around sun glasses when out on Lake Erie in a light brown color. I guess you would call it amber. I also have a pair of Yellow ones that I use for hunting and driving - at night. I have an astigmatism and the headlight glare is terrible without them.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Aw shucks, Snoop. You're a sweetie.

Btw, wrap arounds are the best! Another thing, be sure to get lenses with an anti-reflective coating; both clear Rx lenses and sunglasses, whether tints or polarized.

An AR coating can dramatically reduce the effects of glare. Your sunglasses may have an AR coating, usually on the back side, but if not, be sure to consider having an AR coating on your next pair.

I have problems with glare, too, and AR coatings really help.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Thx for the info Mel, I was going to chime in that I use yellow or amber lenses depending on the light when I shoot outdoors without good shade. Its amazing how much sharper objects and targets become through a piece a yellow plastic.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I'd go with an inexpensive ~$20 pair to start with.

As Mel and Riiz suggested: yellow/amber/copper depending on how dark you want it. You'll be surprised how well even yellow polarized ones work

saganco

RIP my precious kitty baby
Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Can you get wrap arounds that go OVER prescription glasses so I don't have to have several pair of prescription polarized glasses? I am glare sensitive, but want them for on the boat fishing - so maybe the grey and a pair of amber? But only if there's a wrap around that will go over the prescription peepers that wouldn't be too uncomfortable (otherwise there'll be a headache for a different reason!). If that's not possible, then I'll have to choose one or the other and have a prescription pair made (way too costly, but probably necessary if I can't get "over shades" - I made that up by the way).

Mostly it will be used for our high altitude lakes and reservoirs here in the mountains of Colorado. LOTS of UV here! But we will be spending the entire day out when we go - so daylight till dusk, cloudy and sunny... Too many variables to get one good pair??

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I agree with the color choice of a shade of brown, or amber for fishing. I'm a licensed optician, actually. I love polarized lenses.

Gray can be the most comfortable for someone sensitive to light and is good for deep water fishing, but lake fishing would probably be better with a shade of brown.

Here's some info on color choices in polarized lenses:

Smoke (Dark Grey) - Reduces the maximum amount of visible light and allows for true color recognition. Good for bright sunny days and heavy glare situations. This polarized lens has its best use in driving, deep-water fishing, boating, and other everyday activities.

Caramel (Light Brown) - A lighter shade of Chocolate, Caramel improves contrast and depth perception. This polarized lens is good for partly sunny to very sunny days.

Copper (Copper) - A reddish brown color, this color maximizes contrast making items brighter. Ideal for any application where good visual acuity is crucial. This polarized lens is great for fishing, golfing, and driving in varying conditions.

Chocolate (Dark Brown) - Provides excellent contrast and improves visual acuity and depth perception. This Chocolate colored Polarized lenses reduces blue light and is good for highly sunny and varying conditions. This lens is the best Polarized lens for driving, golfing, and shallow water fishing.

Sunflower (Yellow) - Provides maximum light transmission of any polarized lens. Increases contrast and filters out some blue light. Polarized lenses are used in low light conditions such as overcast or cloudy days. Popular among shooters, hunters, skiers, and good for driving in low light situations.

Sorry for going off on the subject.:)
Mel you always have the longest and most informative answer, unlike the rest of us ;) .

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Can you get wrap arounds that go OVER prescription glasses so I don't have to have several pair of prescription polarized glasses? I am glare sensitive, but want them for on the boat fishing - so maybe the grey and a pair of amber? But only if there's a wrap around that will go over the prescription peepers that wouldn't be too uncomfortable (otherwise there'll be a headache for a different reason!). If that's not possible, then I'll have to choose one or the other and have a prescription pair made (way too costly, but probably necessary if I can't get "over shades" - I made that up by the way).

Mostly it will be used for our high altitude lakes and reservoirs here in the mountains of Colorado. LOTS of UV here! But we will be spending the entire day out when we go - so daylight till dusk, cloudy and sunny... Too many variables to get one good pair??
I've seen clip-ons at Bass Pro shops.

gratleop

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
yes there amazing i dont use anything else i always use my bros oakleys there so amazing!!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008

There are wrap arounds that go over your own glasses. It used to be that the only thing available like that was those ugly "old folks" fit-overs that where huge and you would see being worn by elderly post cataract patients.

Now, you can find fit-overs that are sleek and trim wrap arounds that look like slightly bulkier wraps, but they look much more sporty and youthful than the old style. You could try your local optical shops or even WalMart. They are available in polarized lenses, brown or gray, and I think I'd go with a gray if you are very sensitive, but if you can take a bit more light the brown will be more versatile.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Aw, thanks, froggie.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store