Polarized glasses...do they work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saganco

RIP my precious kitty baby
Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
There are wrap arounds that go over your own glasses. It used to be that the only thing available like that was those ugly "old folks" fit-overs that where huge and you would see being worn by elderly post cataract patients.

Now, you can find fit-overs that are sleek and trim wrap arounds that look like slightly bulkier wraps, but they look much more sporty and youthful than the old style. You could try your local optical shops or even WalMart. They are available in polarized lenses, brown or gray, and I think I'd go with a gray if you are very sensitive, but if you can take a bit more light the brown will be more versatile.
You're DA BEST!! You just saved me a bunch of money and I really appreciate the advice. :bowing: I know one can spend A LOT of money on polarized shades, but would the walmart ones be good enough? Need a pair for hubby too so we can actually see those pesky trout as they try to avoid us, or see what is really on the line... Thanks again for your help Mel! :clap:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I've tried them on, myself, over my glasses. I thought they were fine. I didn't see any distortions or aberrations, so I think they would be good. There are several companies that make these, but I think the ones I tried that are sold at Walmart were a good price and good quality.

The best way is to check several locations, Walmart and other optical dispensaries. I'd do some phoning for availability and prices and then go try them out. Ask them to walk outside with you so you can try them in the sunlight. Make sure they are polarized and if you find some that have back-side anti-reflective coating you've hit the jackpot, lol.

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Excellent - thanks again Mel. I'll be shopping for them this week! Blessings :D

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
If you're using waders at all, buy dedicated polarized glasses and put them on one of those fabric around-the-neck holders. In strong wind or while landing a fish, it's easy for them to slip off - especially the ones that fit over regular glasses - and they'll be far downriver before you can grab them.

I just buy cheap drugstore polarized glasses. Rite-aid is my favorite, they have $15 ones and the holders too. Easy and if I lose them, I'm not devastated. Plastic lenses are fine. And I don't like any color in my glasses, just plain grey/black lenses. If you're wading it can be important to distinguish a green, slippery, mossy rock from a dark brown boulder from a deep blue hole, so I go with uncolored ones.

But I wouldn't dream of going fishing without polarized glasses. They're a lifesaver, literally.

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
I've never used polarized sunglasses for fishing. I have perscription glasses with transition lenses. That's it. IMO, polarized sunglasses are not nescisarry, although most fishing guides I know use them.

Wet Coaster

Registered Member
May 23, 2006
I know of two brands of good quality polarized sunglasses that fit over prescription glasses: "Fitovers", and "Coccoons". Both are available in different sizes and lens colours. They are excellent for high glare situations, such as fishing from a boat, or wading in open water, because they stop the glare from below, above, and the sides of your eyes.

If you've never tried polarized glasses while fishing, you don't know what you're missing. For example, on a stream, you can see the bottom structure, and fish, 10 times clearer.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
there is a test you can do with polarized lenses.
take two pair of sunglasses (or lenses) place one in front of the other as you look thru them (think telephoto here)
slowly rotate one lense(clock wise) if you have 2 polarized lenses you will see them block out the light.

polarization is really fine (very fine) lines etched in the glass. they knock down light waxes(which are directional) filters out 1 direction of light.

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
While at a sporting goods store this last weekend, we discovered these amazing glasses: http://www.glpolarized.com/Guideline/Bifocal

They can put my own distance vision prescription in them so now I'd be protected, could SEE the fish, and find my way around! I'm seriously into these glasses! Now I will be able to SEE the hook! :bowing:

Last edited:

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
I agree with the color choice of a shade of brown, or amber for fishing. I'm a licensed optician, actually. I love polarized lenses.

Gray can be the most comfortable for someone sensitive to light and is good for deep water fishing, but lake fishing would probably be better with a shade of brown.

Here's some info on color choices in polarized lenses:

Smoke (Dark Grey) - Reduces the maximum amount of visible light and allows for true color recognition. Good for bright sunny days and heavy glare situations. This polarized lens has its best use in driving, deep-water fishing, boating, and other everyday activities.

Caramel (Light Brown) - A lighter shade of Chocolate, Caramel improves contrast and depth perception. This polarized lens is good for partly sunny to very sunny days.

Copper (Copper) - A reddish brown color, this color maximizes contrast making items brighter. Ideal for any application where good visual acuity is crucial. This polarized lens is great for fishing, golfing, and driving in varying conditions.

Chocolate (Dark Brown) - Provides excellent contrast and improves visual acuity and depth perception. This Chocolate colored Polarized lenses reduces blue light and is good for highly sunny and varying conditions. This lens is the best Polarized lens for driving, golfing, and shallow water fishing.

Sunflower (Yellow) - Provides maximum light transmission of any polarized lens. Increases contrast and filters out some blue light. Polarized lenses are used in low light conditions such as overcast or cloudy days. Popular among shooters, hunters, skiers, and good for driving in low light situations.

Sorry for going off on the subject.:)
lol whoah this is rlly useful
i didnt even kno polarized lenses existed, they sound pretty cool

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store