POLL: If you had to choose a HOB filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which HOB would you prefer to buy/use?

• Hagen Aquaclear series

Votes: 74 35.2%
  • Marineland Emperor

Votes: 53 25.2%
  • Marineland Penguin

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Whisper series

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Tetratech series

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • None! Give me a canister anytime.

Votes: 29 13.8%

• Total voters

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I love my Whisper... just as the name implies, it's so quiet, and filters very well... as does my Top Fin. I voted for a marineland penguin, only because if I had had the $$$ 4 years ago when I set up my tank, that's what I would have gotten, so now I'm waiting for one of my current filters to bit the big one.

My only complaint is my Top Fin sometimes takes some prodding to get to start back up again after a water change... but other than that I love my filters!

~Tara

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have 2 AC's and 1 whisper. So far after a few years they still work great with minor cleaning. I like AC's the best due to the large media basket over the Whispers. My friend had an Emporer and it always smelled really bad. Of course that is most likely due to improper cleaning but it still sits in the back of my mind.

mcps95

AC Members
Jun 16, 2004
Redmond, WA
Visit site
I've got a TetraTec 300 on my 55 gal. While I'm not dissatisfied with it (unlike others who have commented on it in other threads and on other sites, mainly because of noise and constant tweaking associated with the wet/dry bio filter), I think my next HOB purchase would likely be an Emperor 400. I've heard nothing but great things about them, and a friend of mine has the Marineland Eclipse system with biowheel and it seems to work really well.

Admittedly, the only thing that made me choose the TetraTec over the Emperor initially was the ability to hide the heater in the filter rather than have it in the main tank. As far as I'm concerned, the less stuff you can see in the tank, the better, especially on a show tank. I think if Marineland added this type of feature to the Emperor series, I'd trade mine in immediately.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
I'll take the AC if i just HAD to pick a HOB. In face, it is the only HOB I still run because all my other filters are canister. The original supreme aquamaster was my favorite HOB,but it has been revamped, if you can find it at all.

MamaBarb

Still crazy after all these years
Oct 17, 2003
Southwest Ranches, FL
Visit site
OK - time to confess my ignorance - altho I'm not a newbie to the hobby, this question belongs in that forum, probably. What the heck does HOB stand for ??? :confused: I've gone so far as to figure out it means just about anything BUT a canister - but what does the acronym mean? Altho I'm a champ at trivia and scabble - this one is not coming to me, and I don't remember seeing it explained anywhere.

While we're at it, I may as well confess I haven't figured out RO and DI in reference to water either :(

And - oh yeah - I voted for the emperor - all I've ever used is them and the penguins. Works for me!

Thx -

Stupidly yours - Mary

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I've not used the Emperor, but I am very pleased with the Penguins. They are so inexpensive! I have 8 of them running with great success.

The cartridges are easy to clean since you don't need to worry about maintaining the biological content. I bought a high-pressure nozzle that I use on my utility sink to clean them. Takes only a few seconds per cartridge.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
HOB and HOT = 'Hang on back' or 'hang on tank.'
aka 'power filters.'

I voted for the AC filters. The AC-500 is a very good power filter with a huge amount of filtering surface area...especially with two sponges. I've never had a problem with the larger ACs '500/300.' The smaller ones I've owned did have that restart problem, I must admit.

Last edited:

big02daddy2002

AC Members
May 27, 2004
Beaver Dam, WI
Visit site
yea i voted for AC, i don't know why that other guy had problems with the repriming, coulda been old? or intake out a place a bit. But on all my tanks (12) i run AC's, i have one penguin biowheel and don't really care for it, AC are definately worth their money and more!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store