POLL: If you had to choose a HOB filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which HOB would you prefer to buy/use?

• Hagen Aquaclear series

Votes: 74 35.2%
  • Marineland Emperor

Votes: 53 25.2%
  • Marineland Penguin

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Whisper series

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Tetratech series

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • None! Give me a canister anytime.

Votes: 29 13.8%

• Total voters

Rometiklan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
AquaClears all the way. Whenever I set up a new tank 33 gallons or under, ACs are always my first choice as filtration as the primary filter. And on larger tanks, ACs are my first choice as secondary filtration. My oldest AC, the AC 610, is still going strong after 20 years. Brilliant filter...excellent bang for the buck. Places had the old AC mini, 150, 200, 300, and 500 series on sale when the new series came out. Stocked up on some ACs for future set ups when they were selling for dirt cheap.

CajunCC

I take pictures
Sep 10, 2004
Harrisburg, PA
www.photobizarre.com
I went with Penguin, considering that's all I've used really. I dunno. Something about the bio-wheel just makes sense to me. I've swapped cartridges with no ammonia/nitrite problems plenty of times. They're relatively inexpensive too. I don't really see the need to spend extra for the Emperors.

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
ScottoMacD said:
emperor- I still don't buy that whole bio wheel thing. I can see it carrying some bacteria but not as much as they claim. Plus those cartriges that do have a lot of bacteria end up getting thrown out because they are such a hassle to clean
penguin- See above

From what I understand, it isnt that the bio-wheel is supposed to hold tons of bacteria, its that the bacteria can work more efficiently because of the oxygen available. Think of it like a fire in a wood stove. Close the vents and the fire doesnt burn well. Open up the vents so the fire gets lots of oxygen and it roars. The bio-wheel filters can also handle shock loads (such as if for some reason, you have to move alot of fish to one tank) better than filters with submerged media, because the bacteria on the bio-wheel can work "faster" to catch up. As for throwing out the cartridges, I have changed them (although I usually use floss because its cheaper) many times with no ill effects.

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
From what I understand, it isnt that the bio-wheel is supposed to hold tons of bacteria, its that the bacteria can work more efficiently because of the oxygen available.
It actually is both, the fabric weave of the biowheel creates a surface area that is absolutely huge. I forget the exact measurements, but there are thousands of feet of fibre, all with surface area to provide a home for bacteria. in addition the wet dry effect does make for more effecient use of the bacteria colony, and this is where the emp with the spray bar outshines even the penguins with the same bio-wheel. the spray bar provides far more of the wet-dry effect and far better oxygenated water. Either way there is too much gas exchange for a typical planted tank, and an Ac will do everything an Emporer will except the bio-wheel so so both are in my mind equal when the wheels are removed.
In a FO tank the wheels are worth their weight in gold. When I began doing plants, the hardest thing for me to give up was my bio-wheels, and it still makes me nervous to not have them.
dave

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
At a local fish club meeting we had a speaker from marieneland (doctor Tim something, don't remember the last name.) come and give a presentation on the nitrification process in an aquatic enviroment. The bio-wheels made sence to me before I heard the talk, and afterwards, I'm compleatly sold on the technology. It wasn't just a sales pitch, he came with all sorts of research data from their labs that showed a drematic increase in nitrification with the bio-wheel. Other systems came close, but there were noticiable spikes whenever the filter media was changed out. The bio-wheel didn't spike at all. I have found the filter units to bevery reliable and they always restart themselfs after water changes or power outages.

fishpoor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
thumb Michigan
Visit site
I've had all but the tetratec (heard bad things). I'll list in order of preference. The best is a little filter i've had so long that i can't remember the name, a millenium 1000 filter fits it so it may be a precursor. Its tiny, pumps a LOT of water, and never quits/always has reprimed.
#2 would be the AC 500, not as much flow for the size, but has room for lots of media
#3. penquin 160, less flow than the whisper, but has never lost its prime for me, anyway.
#4. Whisper 200, its 3rd on my list because it doesn't always reprime
#5. the emperor 400. Love the idea, but its too big a filter to have such a low flow, also although its "big", its not at all versatile. It takes up more room than my AC, puts out less water,much less room for media. The bio-wheels better work, because that's about all it has.
#1. about 20 years, more or less continuously.
#2. about 3 years
#3.since they first came out, until this year ( replaced it with the emperor 400 and am thinking about changing back
4.20 years & still running strong
5. about 2 years

Nov 25, 2004
Indiana
I have 5 peng bio wheels, they work great for me, never replaced any parts, went dry after power outage once but is still working. Have had them for many years and I do maintain them.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I thought about this one for awhile. I am running my first tank, 25g, at first I loved my aqua clear 200, then I hated it. I like the simplicity and easiness of using it. Any newbie can figure out how it does what it does. I don't find it has enough power to filter my 25g on its own however, as I like to see really clear water, so I added a small Hagen elite submersible fo 15g tank, things are really clear and clean now. I placed the submersible filter under the outpour of the ac200 and I think the added wake created byt the elite filter helps the ac pick up more gunk and debris. There is a bit more current in the tank that might annoy small fish, but I've noticed a greater clarity to the water and I don't need to waterchange quite as often. As well, sometimes the ac will pick up alot of dead leaves, and if I'm not around, it will slow to a trickle, but with the 2 filters running, I don't have to worry so much.
I suppose I would go with the ac, but next time an ac300 for this size tank. I use 3 sponges in my ac200, as well. And its all good.

cyberbeer65

Scratch Glass!
Jan 29, 2005
Metro Detroit
www.myspace.com
Camera Used
Galaxy S10 Plus
Aqua Clear all the way.I use two AC 500/110 on my 100 gal,I recently added the second AC on my 100 gal and my water is absolutely pristine.I also like the Whisper 60,witch i have filtering my 20 gal,this filter keeps the 20 gal crystal clear.I just had a power outage literally 20 min ago and all three filters started back up like a champ.

fprintf

AC Members
Oct 17, 2005
Cheshire, CT USA
fprintf.rchomepage.com
Gotta say that I have a Penguin 170 (not sure how old it is) on the 20 gallon long tank that was given to me a few months ago. I was surprised to find that the uptake tube retains the water even when the water level gets really low - I have never had to reprime it.

I still voted for canisters only... heck, at $50 for the smaller canisters from Big Als that is not a huge investment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store