Ptrick125's 75 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
The results are in: .25 ammonia! It isn't completely cycled, but it is showing good progress :)

And.... There was an outbreak of red algae and some fluffy green algae (not hair) Is the red algae bad? It was all over the sand bed! It was cool looking though.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Red could be cyano yes bad. Looks like you don't have much circulation in there, more circulation could help prevent some algaes. I would suggest a pair of 1200gph circulation pumps.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
Red could be cyano yes bad. Looks like you don't have much circulation in there, more circulation could help prevent some algaes. I would suggest a pair of 1200gph circulation pumps.
Oh ok, why is it so bad?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Cyanobacteria isn't surprising in a new setup but should go away after the initial cycle and cleanup. Much like hair algae, etc, cyano is a reuslt of high nutrients. Let the tank cycle and do a 50% water change, siphoning out the cyano. Note that it may come back after the initial cycle and likely will. Continued water changes, increased flow, wet skimming, fresh carbon and phosphate media are all things that should help remove it completely.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
Cyanobacteria isn't surprising in a new setup but should go away after the initial cycle and cleanup. Much like hair algae, etc, cyano is a reuslt of high nutrients. Let the tank cycle and do a 50% water change, siphoning out the cyano. Note that it may come back after the initial cycle and likely will. Continued water changes, increased flow, wet skimming, fresh carbon and phosphate media are all things that should help remove it completely.
Oh ok, I'll try that out... Should some snails help with it also?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Doubtful. Turbo smails reportedly will eat cyano but I have never seen it. If they did, they would only be a band-aid anyway. You need to solve the problem at the source.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Doubtful. Turbo smails reportedly will eat cyano but I have never seen it. If they did, they would only be a band-aid anyway. You need to solve the problem at the source.
Mine never ate it

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
Take all that rock out and return it to PetCo. If they don't return it leave at their front door step and report them to the better business bureau. Once you have achieved this go to a reliable LFS (Local Fish Store) and spend some good money on the real stuff. If you can't afford this buy off of some websites that have nice dry rock. The "live rock" PetCo carries is garbage and is not real rock that can support a marine system. You will run into some massive issues and most likely result in a crash months later. You're starting on the wrong foot.

Before you place your new rock in this tank that has a lot of potential look up "aquascaping". It's something I wish I knew about before I started my 30 gallon but improved much on when I started my 14 BC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store