Pump won't restart

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
I am having a problem with my Rio 2100 in my wet/dry. I shut it off at feeding time and then turn it back on about 15 minutes later and for some reason it won't start pumping. The pump is about a week old. Is this a common problem with submerged pumps? Is there a way to fix it? It will eventually start back up and run fine but it is a pain in the butt to have to wait sometimes up to an hour to get it to work!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
common problems with all submersible pumps- no
common problem with Rios- yes. To restart it you sometimes need to give it a good smack.

Their big glory feature of having low energy consumption and low price come at a price. Their tiny oil filled motor cant restart itself after a power outage, or keep itself cool if the water level drops.

Rio's have a bad reputation, and with good cause. The oil in there motors has been known to explode from the pump causing major problems throughout the tank. Rio's also have higher instances of pumps jamming, pumps not restarting, and pumps "leaking" electricity into the water.

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
I replaced my Rios with a Supreme Mag Drive pump. I got the Mag12 (1200gph). They make a Mag9 that pumps 900gph and a Mag 7 at 700gph.

The Mags are reasonably priced and have a good reputation; I'm happy with mine.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Agreed with Greg. The Mag line of pumps definatly seem to be the most popular.

There are also the Dolphin pond master line that Ive been hearing good things about.

Eheim just came out with a bunch of new submersible pumps with higher flow rates. Eheim is first rate on everything they make..

reefer_wannabe

Registered Member
Feb 17, 2003
Rantoul, Illinois
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I do not dispel any comments about Rio pumps. I have heard too many horror stories about them from too many people I trust implicitly.

That said, I have a Rio 1700 on my 55 as a return pump. I have had this configuration for over a year and not had 1 single problem. I do not start and stop this pump alot, though. Only when it's time for a water change (when I remember, that is!). I am not foolish, though. I have a spare very close by......:D :rolleyes:

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
It seems that the problem has something to do with the impeller itself. When I can't get it to start if I unplug it and turn the impeller just a bit and then plug it back in it will start every time.

Now I seen to have another problem with it. When I first bought it the pump was very quiet. Now for some reason it is so loud I hate it. It sounds like the impeller is hitting the sides or something. It is not a vibration noise at all. Anybody have any idea what can be wrong with it? If I was to go out and get a Mag pump instead will I still be able to use the 3/4 return line that I am using now? What a pain!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store